Debt Free Wannabe Teacher

Comments

• Narola1976
    Narola1976 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi, you are doing really well. Sorry to hear about your grandad. Will subscribe to follow your progress.
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just read your diary. You are doing so well. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I've subscribed. Don't think ppl aren't reading as I use to think that with mine but then I realised I read loads of diaries and don't respond or forget to hit thanks.
  • dfw87
    dfw87 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Narola1976 wrote: »
    Hi, you are doing really well. Sorry to hear about your grandad. Will subscribe to follow your progress.
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I've just read your diary. You are doing so well. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I've subscribed. Don't think ppl aren't reading as I use to think that with mine but then I realised I read loads of diaries and don't respond or forget to hit thanks.

Hi!

Thanks for reading - it is very true - I read lots of diaries and never really know what to say!
    Since 'lightbulb moment' on 9th July 2017:
    Loan: £1,670.25/£20,043.00 loan - 8.33%
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Today has had some spends but I am ok with those!

Me and my boyfriend took our dog to the common for a good run around and then gave him a bath when we got home. I haven't done a food shop for about 3 weeks now, other than occasional bits like a box of cereal, some reduced meatballs and some milk! I am just using things up. So, lunch was a mix of things from the freezer!

I then popped to town and met my mum. We had a coffee and a cake which I bought - came to about £12. I also bought some shoes for school for £12 but I've decided to return those.

Trying to decide... do I go for a more expensive, but likely to last longer, pair of shoes from, say, Clarks? Or do I do my usual which is to get some cheaper pumps in the sale from New Look or Dorothy Perkins which I know will wear out quicker but are cheaper?!

I sold my bike last week and the money for that has just cleared so that was another £160ish in to my savings account. I also sold some shoes so popped another £10 in the savings just now. Up to £911.97 now which I am just so amazed at, seeing as this is just since 9th July, alongside my debt repayments.
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Today...

- Went for lunch with a friend but she paid which was nice - a late birthday lunch.
    - Paid £5 to post some shoes that I had sold on eBay.
    - Returned some shoes for £12.
    - Popped to Clarks to try on some shoes and them bought them on Amazon using my vouchers - £50 in the shop, £49 on Amazon and free for me using vouchers!
    - Received 2 x £3 Amazon vouchers from Swagbucks and am close to getting another.
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Today:

- Claimed another £3 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks - just waiting for the code to come through.
    - Wrote my Christmas list as much as possible - will aim to get all presents in the lead up to Christmas and as many as possible from Amazon using my vouchers!
    - Spent about £35 on food for dinner for after my Granddad's funeral, but that will be refunded to me at some point.
    - Went out for a meal with my boyfriend and split it - £25 each. A usual occurrence when I wasn't being good with my money! It was a bit of an impulse but things have been so hard recently with my Granddad and I feel like I haven't spent any quality rime with my boyfriend for a long time so it was a nice thing to do and worth the money.

Payday on Friday from my bar job and my teaching job - can't wait!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • Narola1976
    It is important I think to nurture yourself and relationships from time to time especially when you have experienced a loss. So be kind to yourself. You are still being very MSE thinking about spending wisely for Christmas. I am too - everything else might be going to pot but at least I won't add to the debt LOL. I having been doing the 1p savings challenge. Its getting harder and harder as the months go by but I am halfway there with £296 saves towards Christmas. The final amount should be around £650.

• dfw87
    Narola1976 wrote: »
    It is important I think to nurture yourself and relationships from time to time especially when you have experienced a loss. So be kind to yourself. You are still being very MSE thinking about spending wisely for Christmas. I am too - everything else might be going to pot but at least I won't add to the debt LOL. I having been doing the 1p savings challenge. Its getting harder and harder as the months go by but I am halfway there with £296 saves towards Christmas. The final amount should be around £650.

That'll be a great saving - I've seen the challenge before. How do you do it? Do you use coins or do you do it online banking? I liked the idea but I knew I would get fed up with trying to do it with coins!
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • dfw87
    Today:

- Had some spends at the Co-Op for my Mum - she would usually give me money back for this but with everything going on, I think I can buy a bit of shopping for her!
    - Went for a coffee with a friend who I haven't seen for a while - really nice.
    - Bought a cardigan from DP for the funeral - had a panic when I realised the one I had looked really scruffy. It was £18 and I didn't get a chance to shop around. Bit annoying but... oh well!
    - Got my haircut - my lovely hairdresser only charges me £5! My Mum paid for it as she was also getting hers done.
    - My Clarks shoes came and they are lovely - £49 but used my Amazon vouchers.
    - Used some Amazon vouchers to buy an iron on floral transfer as I ripped my fave dress and it is not fixable!
    - Got my next £3 Swagbucks Amazon voucher so will add that to my account.
    £2,350.62 in savings
  • Narola1976
    dfw87 wrote: »
    That'll be a great saving - I've seen the challenge before. How do you do it? Do you use coins or do you do it online banking? I liked the idea but I knew I would get fed up with trying to do it with coins!

Gosh no, coins would drive me around the bend. Besides I usually have very little cash on hand. I do it online. I also do not have the time to do it daily so what I do is I work out on the list where the last day of each month falls and then at the beginning of the month I transfer the whole monthly amount what ever it is to the account instead of doing it day by day. So for this month by the end of August the balance should be £296. So I just subtract last month's balance from what the balance of August should be which tells me how much I need to move over to bring the balance in line with the end of August amount. Now next week I will do the same. I will work out where 30 September falls and add the difference to the £296 to bring the balance in line with 30 September amount. Hope that makes sense!! I just find it easier and less hassle

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure