water meter

I will be having a water meter fitted in the next 3 months.

Do i continue as i am with the usage,or even use more,so that when i get my first bill,i can see if it is going to save money?

Or,do i start trying to cut down asap,but does this give a false idea of how much i can save?
Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!

Comments

• futumsch
    futumsch Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hey carl.

I have been looking at changing to a water meter aswell, so I have done a few calculations. I live in the Severn Trent area, and I based some calculations on their prices on their website.

So based on two occupants in my house,
    Domestic water usage came to £75
    Annual charge for the meter is £8.82
    Sewerage £50
    Surface Water / Drains £40

Which would give me a total annual bill of about £175.
    My annual bill at the moment is £260, so I would make a fair saving. But should I wish to leave a tap running 365 days a year (for example), I wont get a steeper bill.

So to your question, I would carry on with your normal usage, I wouldnt be conscious about saving water, etc. unless of course you have more people in your house. I reckon you could even have a couple of house parties, where the loo is going to be flushed every five minutes and still save!! I made some simple sums on an excel spreadsheet, but I dont think I can attach it here. would be interested to see how much you save though.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    carl310166 wrote:
    I will be having a water meter fitted in the next 3 months.

Do i continue as i am with the usage,or even use more,so that when i get my first bill,i can see if it is going to save money?

Or,do i start trying to cut down asap,but does this give a false idea of how much i can save?

quick word of advice, when on a water meter, using more water isn't saving money, even if you are just 'checking'
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Just use the water as normal to get a true comparason, if you decide to go on a meter it may be wise to do little things like turn the tap off when cleaning your teeth for example, or when you wash the car turn the tap off sont leave it running :)
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    futumsch wrote:

I have been looking at changing to a water meter aswell, so I have done a few calculations. I live in the Severn Trent area, and I based some calculations on their prices on their website.

So based on two occupants in my house,
    Domestic water usage came to £75
    Annual charge for the meter is £8.82
    Sewerage £50
    Surface Water / Drains £40

hi futumsch

I live in the Severn Trent area as well and have just started looking into changing to a water meter. I was wondering what your experience with Severn Trent has been like so far?

Has anyone gone to your house to see how/where a meter can be fitted?

Any idea how long it may take for them to install it i.e. is there a waiting list ?

I'm not sure if I've understood this correctly but there's an annual charge to use the meter??

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can't really answer your q Lychee, but here's what happened when I changed to a Water Meter many years ago.

I rang the water company who sent a lady out to explain what happens, I then signed a contract and she went out to the road and marked where the main stop **** was. About 4 weeks later a couple of guys arrived dug a hole installed the meter and re-instated the road, they took about an hour all in.

At the time it cost £75 to have the meter installed. I think it's free nowadays, but my bills went from £27 a month down to a tenner a month, I now pay £12 a month, and I didn't watch my water consumption to any great extent. There is a standing charge but it's included in my current payments of £12 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure