Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 2,990Posts
    • 24,422Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD12/18 spends 447/400
    Exercise 12/20 Amazon vouchers for xmas £15
    Debt - all 0% 1436 to go from 5290 (72% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 27
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 21st Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 24,422 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning,

Today I'm grateful for a lovely supportive and understanding work colleague who lent me her patient ear this morning when I had the rant of the century. Men and kids just seem to be out to grind you down . Why don't kids learn that whining and crying doesn't get you anything (been at to for 6 years now). Then they call you weird and mean because I'm the one that has to chase them every morning, get up, eat breakfast, get dressed etc etc. while DH is in bed and then wanders downstairs to announce 5 minutes before leaving that he'd better get himself ready now. Anyway, could go on but won't. Seems to be quite common sadly. Thanks to my colleague I'm in a much better mood now though

Oh and DH announced yesterday that he'll do the dishes today, Woohoo....

Anyway .....today will be an SFD, salad and LO fish pie for lunch and a swim.

Have a nice day

EDIT: not a SFD. treated myself to some popcorn and some new conditioner. Already brought a new bottle of shampoo in from home. The last two weeks I had an itchy almost burning scalp and I think it might be the cheap antidandruff shampoo I've been using everyday. We'll see if it improves now.
    Last edited by thriftylass; Today at 11:18 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD12/18 spends 447/400
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 21st Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Men and kids just seem to be out to grind you down . Why don't kids learn that whining and crying doesn't get you anything (been at to for 6 years now). Then they call you weird and mean because I'm the one that has to chase them every morning, get up, eat breakfast, get dressed etc etc. while DH is in bed and then wanders downstairs to announce 5 minutes before leaving that he'd better get himself ready now
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    Since when did you move into my house??

DH stays in bed until I start shouting 'Shoes and Coats!, Shoes and Coats! The car is leaving at 8 0'clock and if you are not in it, you are going to be left on the pavement' He likes to have a quiet breakfast and to not be disturbed whilst going through the bathroom. I call it HIDING.

Getting kids out of the house is the MOST stressful part of my day, followed by the 'get into bed and stay there!!!' conversation every.....single......night......

I feel your pain. Eldest is 15 next month, and apart from doing nouvelle vague like a pro, he seems to actually be starting to be ready on time - I have not had to drop a PE kit or lunchbox off for about a year now (famous last words).

They can call me weird and mean as much as they like, they have no idea what level of weirdness or meanness I am capable of. If the worst level of meanness they know is me herding them about the place, they are lucky. I never knew the level of patience or tolerance I was capable of until all my 4 hit school age.

Anyway:

Made it back to the gym - 500cals down - going to be stiff as a board in about 4 hours. Why are bike seats so damn uncomfortable?

Looking good for NSD#14 - in that lunch, supper and pudding is sorted from stores, lunchbox tat is ready for tomorrow, getting low on milk but have just enough to do hot chocolate tonight and cereal in the morning.

Tomorrow is my major spend day as I will be doing food shopping and we are getting seriously low on the whole shampoo/looroll stuff. Also 2 kids passports just expired so need passport photos and fees paying for.

Will do a cupboard inventory tonight and make loose plans for meals next week. On the look out for YS bargains. Double glazing money left my account this morning. Less than £400 to my name. Well, until next Friday payday.

Hugs to all who need them. Kids are ridiculous, I find telling them they are being childish tends to amuse me enough not to take it personally
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    September 17 - £109,896.73
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 21st Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 24,422 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Since when did you move into my house??

DH stays in bed until I start shouting 'Shoes and Coats!, Shoes and Coats! The car is leaving at 8 0'clock and if you are not in it, you are going to be left on the pavement' He likes to have a quiet breakfast and to not be disturbed whilst going through the bathroom. I call it HIDING.

Getting kids out of the house is the MOST stressful part of my day, followed by the 'get into bed and stay there!!!' conversation every.....single......night......

I feel your pain. Eldest is 15 next month, and apart from doing nouvelle vague like a pro, he seems to actually be starting to be ready on time - I have not had to drop a PE kit or lunchbox off for about a year now (famous last words).

They can call me weird and mean as much as they like, they have no idea what level of weirdness or meanness I am capable of. If the worst level of meanness they know is me herding them about the place, they are lucky. I never knew the level of patience or tolerance I was capable of until all my 4 hit school age.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Thank you, that made my day.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD12/18 spends 447/400
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 21st Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Thank you, that made my day.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    You are not alone.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    September 17 - £109,896.73
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 17,670 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi everyone,
    Just checking in (no. 21/30) to say I'm keeping the faith. Not an NSD as I needed a bag of pasta & treated myself to crisps & a naughty little chocolate bar, but apart from that, my money has stayed put. About to make a start on this week's shopping list. Have already meal-planned. Am going to allow extra time for the shopping list again, as it is always a more sensible one if I check ALL the cupboards, fridge & freezer as I go. Then I am hoping to do some more knitting for my sales basket. A bit chilly earlier......went up to put a cardi on, but then vacuumed downstairs & got so warm I had to take it off again, so it's defo not time for any heating to go on just yet!
    Have a good day all....nearly the weekend.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £246
    • greent
    • By greent 21st Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 62,725 Thanks
    greent
    You are not alone.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Definitely not. My eldest is 19 and back off to uni this weekend. Second eldest is 17 and now capable of getting himself ready and off to school by 7.45 (helped by the fact that his breakfast just consists of a cup of coffee - if he wants to spend his money on stuff at school so be it - I have plenty of breakfast choices here if he can make his way downstairs for them) Number 3 is 11 - and we have to leave the house at 7.30 to drive to the bus stop (bus goes at 7.45 but has been known to be early - and bus stop is a 40-45 min walk away) I *do* check his bag that everything is in it - I don't want to drive to his school in the next town (min 30 mins drive each way, poss more depending upon traffic) to drop off kit/ homework/ lunch, so I do it for myself as much as anything (17yo goes to school 10 mins drive away, so I have dropped off many a piece of kit/ homework/ food/ urgent form which needed signing etc over the years)
    Yesterday morning saw me calmly repeating very loudly that we needed to 'go - now!' to number 3 several times - who was nonchalantly wandering around, then taking ages to put on shoes and tie laces - and then needed to go and get his blazer and his phone (both of which were next to him - and I had told him this but he clearly wasn't listening - as usual) Argh!!!! If he misses his school bus there is no option but for me to drive him there - but I need to get number 4 to school too - which doesn't work. We live in a weird place with regards to primary school - none are especially close and number 4 goes to the one furthest away, as we used to live closer. Out of the families in our street (of only 14 houses, some of which don't have school aged children) the children go to 4 different local primaries - and none of the others also go to the same one as my youngest, so there is no one I can easily give him to if I had to take DS2 to school - hence my frustration at a slower-than-snail-like pace which DS2 was exhibiting!

It's not just school - it's parties, clubs. activities - anything. I used to pride myself on my punctuality. Now I build in min half an hour buffer if we are planning on a proper journey.... sigh.....

ETA: My OH usually works away part of the week, so doesn't have this. When he is around he gets up anything up to an hour after me - by which time I've done most things. I also do prep the night before for school mornings - I don't know how I'd manage without. I think he just sees it as that means he can spend more time in bed, as he's not required to help....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 21st Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 24,422 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Strange eh, how some men (even with more than 2 kids or full time (outside house) working wife) still expect the women to do it all (no matter how lovely they are in every other aspect, otherwise we wouldn't be with them). Anyway, your stories and my colleague's tell me it must be a man thing (sorry didn't mean to offend present ones) and I should just accept that's the way it is. He come home and sits down. I maybe get, Do you need help? while clearly knowing the jobs I do every night and others being blatantly obvious like an overflowing recycling bin , dishes etc. Anyway, just the way it is

Sorry one of those day.

Didn't make it to the gym and while I ruined a SFD already I also bought a cheap bike rack for the car for going to the triathlon in two weeks. Also need dil juice and bread tonight. Dinner will be left over Gennaro Contaldo's Ragu recipe. Yum
    Last edited by thriftylass; Today at 3:55 PM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD12/18 spends 447/400
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 21st Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 45,878 Thanks
    apple muncher
    When dh was made redundant, and therefore took over dd duties (which I'd done whilst working 4 days per week and juggling so many favours to get dd picked up and looked after), he finally realised - and admitted - that it wasn't so easy and was sooooo tiring... And that is just with one. Total respect to those with multiple!
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 21st Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 18,365 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 21
    Managed another SFD - 13/18
    Brought lunch into work.
    Walked 20 minutes.
    Read my book and had some quiet time before work. Very busy day in work, but the time went by so quickly.
    Grateful for:
    Journey home was better - less time compared to earlier this week.
    Seeing the changing colour of the leaves on the trees.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; Today at 8:01 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NSK September SFD 13/18 Food/Household £105.90/£150 Exercise 15
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 21st Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Check in 21/30 and what a beautiful sunny day it's been

Not a NSD as planned. My appointment took soooo long. I left the house at 10.30 and didn't get back till 6. I succumbed to a coffee for £2 and a bottle of water for £1. Not too bad given the circumstances.

I'm now all set for 3 ops in a row. Not that I'm glad about it, I'll be glad to get them over with!

Anyway, tomorrow should be a NSD as we won't do the shopping now till Saturday - we don't need anything.

Still at 11 NSD

Beauty spends - budget busted 40/10

Exercise - miles of walking

Me time - train journeys, lovely scenery

Heating - still off for at least another 7 days

On target with shopping money

Have a lovely evening scrimpers

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £120/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 11/18
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 21st Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,990 Posts
    • 24,422 Thanks
    thriftylass
    vintagebrighton all the best for your ops and speedy troublefree recoveries
    NST Sept 1
    SFD12/18 spends 447/400
    • greent
    • By greent 21st Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 6,196 Posts
    • 62,725 Thanks
    greent
    Day 21...
    SFDs - still 11/18 - not one today! As well as food shopping I also bought DD a pair of jeans from N*xt @ £26 + had to pay for DS2's school trip to the panto (@£19!)

Extra monies/ debt repayment - None.

Food - running total £304.26/ £450 - spent £37.43 in Tesc0 today, including some stuff for DD to go back to uni with

Eating up/ using up stuff - Made fridge cake (again ) to use up some more of the Kr@ve cereal brought back from DD's flat (2 more batches should see it gone!) Also used up the remains of 2 bottles of choc sauce/ syrup in at as I have decided ice cream is off the house-menu until Xmas!

Lunches taken - 3 packed lunches for boys today. DD and I had soup & rolls at home

Social life - None today

Exercise - 2/3 Day at home today - so have only managed 7.5k steps so far - will need to move somewhat to get to 10k target!.

Beauty - £4.73/ £10 - bought a deodorant for me as I am half way through mine and my preferred one was on offer @ £2

Time for self - Hmmm....

Heating off - yep. Rainy but mild here.

Gratitudes:
    * lots of hotel/ airline freebies from my mum - shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, razors, shaving foam, colgate toothpaste & lots more Will pass some unwanted bits on to a combination of foodbank and shoebox appeal
    * Finally getting DD's NS&I online login sorted after a letter and 3 phone calls! (still have DS1's to sort)
    * DS2 having a good swimming lesson tonight
    * still having the benefit of DD's heated airer (until Saturday!) to get clothes dry in the rainy weather
    * OH getting back from work early and coming to see DS2 swim
    Last edited by greent; Today at 9:20 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 21st Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 45,878 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Vintage - 3 ops! Yikes. Hope they go smoothly.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 21st Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Yesterday was nsd#9 but today I had to spend. This month is a bit of a fail on nsd and food budget but I will continue to track it.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin