Another Nutmeg inspired question

Options
I have had for several years a self select ISA with comdirect / squaregain / selftrade and soon to become equiniti. It started out as a vehicle to trade stocks actively but over the years I have become a more 'passive' investor and have moved my small pot into iShare ETFs. The only activity I engage in these days is reinvesting dividends - largely as a means of avoiding / minimising inactivity fees!

So I was quite attracted by the Nutmeg proposition - a broad based investment in cash, bonds and shares, within a NISA wrapper and all I'd really need to do is pick my level of risk vs return. But it's all a bit 'new' ...

Internet research brought me to MSE and various posts suggesting that Nutmeg looks comparatively expensive and that an equivalent savings vehicle could be simply constructed using a Hargreaves Landsdown account to hold Vanguard LifeStrategy funds. So that's what I'm currently planning to do.

Now I recognise that I need to my own research and make my own decisions but are there any 'better' options I should consider before leaping in?

Philip
Philip

Comments

• Porcupine
    Porcupine Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    If you're only planning to hold LifeStrategy, H-L is quite an expensive place to do it. It costs 0.45%pa plus other charges. Look at iWeb (no annual fee, £5 deal fee) or Charles Stanley (0.25%pa, no deal fee) for some examples of cheaper brokers, or see here for a more detailed list:
    http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
  • philip42h
    Options
    Thanks for that Porcupine ... I'll look into other trading platforms.

Speaking of which, I guess that I ought to be able to trade Vanguard LifeStrategy funds on the selftrade/equiniti platform. I should have considered that earlier I suspect! :) However, I can't seem to be able to get selftrade to recognise them. Are there restrictions on how / where Vanguard LifeStrategy funds can be traded that I should be aware of?
    Philip
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    I haven't used selftrade for years but they were/are a stockbroker allowing you to buy and sell shares, investment trusts and ETFs which are listed on the stockmarket.

A 'fund' like Vanguard Lifestrategy is an open ended investment company or unit trust, which is offered for sale on a 'fund platform' through which you can subscribe for new units (they take your money and buy more assets) or redeem your units (they sell assets and give you your cash back).

It is not real time trading on the London market buying and selling shares from other market participants, which is what a 'stockbroker' does for you. Some stockbrokers also provide access to a fund platform and some fund platform providers will allow you to trade shares with a broking facility. More companies are offering both now so that they can be a one-stop-shop for investors but some come from one background or the other and have different price points depending on what they think will work for their core customer base.

So, you need a fund platform. HL provide one but there are plenty of others about at better prices (the link above is a decent start). Obviously if you choose to hold Vanguard Lifestrategy the ratio of different indexes is pretty fixed which is less flexible than your current method of holding different amounts of individual trackers but if you are fine with the mix they offer, it might work for you. Another one which varies the mix slightly is the Blackrock Consensus range.

Or you could just find a full on actively managed multi-asset fund or two where the managers don't solely rely on trackers; there will be several which are more expensive than Lifestrategy or Consensus but which taken together with a platform fee are still cheaper than Nutmeg.
  • eagleeye
    eagleeye Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    charles stanley is a better place to hold vanguard funds as there is no initial funding charge .Hl has got intital fees for a lot of vanguard funds.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    eagleeye wrote: »
    charles stanley is a better place to hold vanguard funds as there is no initial funding charge .Hl has got intital fees for a lot of vanguard funds.
    I'm not so sure that's true. Vanguard do have an initial dilution levy on some of their funds but I didn't think you could avoid it by going to Charles Stanley or any other alternative platform. It is not a fee that goes to the fund manager, it is just some extra cash that's collected from new subscribers to a fund and put into the fund to help pay for stamp duties and other costs of joiners and leavers etc.

Charles Stanley don't show it on their fund information summary page as an initial charge(https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/ViewFund?Sedol=B4PQW15&Isin=GB00B4PQW151), while Hargreaves Lansdown do (http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-lifestrategy-80-equity-accumulation). But when you click through to the official fund factsheet (http://documents.financialexpress.net/Literature/14946029.pdf) or the Key Investor Document or prospectus or whatever, you'll see the dilution levy plain as day and CSD don't have a special way of circumventing them as far as I know.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Charles Stanley don't show it on their fund information summary page as an initial charge(https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/ViewFund?Sedol=B4PQW15&Isin=GB00B4PQW151), while Hargreaves Lansdown do (http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/v/vanguard-lifestrategy-80-equity-accumulation). But when you click through to the official fund factsheet (http://documents.financialexpress.net/Literature/14946029.pdf) or the Key Investor Document or prospectus or whatever, you'll see the dilution levy plain as day and CSD don't have a special way of circumventing them as far as I know.
    The dilution levy is charged by all platforms including Charles Stanley Direct. They said they would be changing the website to show the dilution levy but it's been several months and they still haven't.
  • philip42h
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. After much indecision and inactivity, and a bit of further research, I've gone with Charles Stanley (and Blackrock Consensus) as my next step. Thanks again
    Philip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport