Where's the best chippy?

Options
GlynD
GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
We've been hunting down good fish and chip shops but by God they're hard to find. So far we've managed to find:

Moloneys, Flush Place, Lurgan and Burger Stop, Church Place, Lurgan. A bit far for us but well worth the drive.

McCann's, Dungannon Road, Portadown. Again a bit far for us but well worth it. You get massive crowds in the place.

The main problem with these distances is getting the fish suppers to stay hot until you get home.

Cleopatra's, Portadown Road, Tandragee. Closer to us and every bit as good as the three above.

What have you got where you live? Would it be worth our while to drive over there just for a fish supper?

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't remember the last time i went in a chippy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • GlynD
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time i went in a chippy.

We try and do it once every couple of months, just for a wee change. Same goes for Chinese and Indian takeaways. Lifelong habits but very infrequent as they always have been for us. Mostly because it isn't healthy to eat in these places too often. I think our major issue is we miss the Italian chip shops we were used to in Edinburgh.

We used to always eat out once a month too - again mostly Italian but since I fell ill that hasn't been possible.
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    The Oak Grill in Castlewellan
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • GlynD
    Options
    lazer wrote: »

Is that the one in the main square or further up the street on the left (coming from Moneyslane)?
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    GlynD wrote: »
    Is that the one in the main square or further up the street on the left (coming from Moneyslane)?

I can't think of the one in the main square - the main square is on the right hand side of the road

Coming from the Moneyslane direction (and I had to google Moneyslane lol!) all the chippies I can think of are one the left had side.

Its this one
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2577752,-5.9424133,3a,75y,270h,75.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sC_oZc0RxkSrOt7BmHkzulg!2e0

There is another one about 2 or 3 doors up from it - the Coffee Dock chipper but I prefer the oak grill
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • GlynD
    Options
    I can't think of the one in the main square - the main square is on the right hand side of the road

Coming from the Moneyslane direction (and I had to google Moneyslane lol!) all the chippies I can think of are one the left had side.

Its this one
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.2577752,-5.9424133,3a,75y,270h,75.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sC_oZc0RxkSrOt7BmHkzulg!2e0

There is another one about 2 or 3 doors up from it - the Coffee Dock chipper but I prefer the oak grill

Ok - got that, know exactly where you are. Thanks. In fact thanks very much for going to that effort.
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yes, excellent. As is the Captains Table in Donaghadee, John Macs in Newcastle and John Dorys in Lisburn. And lots more!
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The best local one here is on Prince Andrew Way, at the new petrol station.
    Decent scampi, Mushy peas which are properly textured.
  • eastlady
    eastlady Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    In Belfast we don't do chippys ,we do the 5* Mourne Seafood Bar.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GlynD wrote: »
    We've been hunting down good fish and chip shops but by God they're hard to find. So far we've managed to find:

Moloneys, Flush Place, Lurgan and Burger Stop, Church Place, Lurgan. A bit far for us but well worth the drive.

McCann's, Dungannon Road, Portadown. Again a bit far for us but well worth it. You get massive crowds in the place.

The main problem with these distances is getting the fish suppers to stay hot until you get home.

Cleopatra's, Portadown Road, Tandragee. Closer to us and every bit as good as the three above.

What have you got where you live? Would it be worth our while to drive over there just for a fish supper?

With you on Cleopatras, Tandragee. Great chips - though it lost something when Mohammed left. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure