The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

BT How do i speak to a real person?

I've allways been with BT but when i phone them up and go thru all the options it says i'm not a BT customer, i know i am but can't pass the automated nonsense and speak to anyone, any advice on speaking to a real person?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,110
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Assuming you really are BT customer, including phone calls & line rental, then do not go through the options, do not press any buttons at all, just wait & wait & wait

The programme will eventually think you are disabled / deaf or daft and put you onto a human
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Farway wrote: »

The programme will eventually think you are disabled / deaf or daft and put you onto a human

Are you sure about that?
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pretty sure, some people still do not have touch tone phones.
  • Farway
    Forumite
    sicker wrote: »
    Pretty sure, some people still do not have touch tone phones.

It does work, for all the reasons given, however be prepared for a loooong wait before a human appears
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • tightwadten
    tightwadten Posts: 125 Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    It does work, for all the reasons given, however be prepared for a loooong wait before a human appears

Thanks again it worked like a charm, only a 12 min wait at this time of day, not to bad, for the record they blamed my original problem on a computer error.
  • slenderkitten
    slenderkitten Posts: 1,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sometimes i dial 151 for bt line problems or 152 for business customers you can get through to a human but they will put you through to residential customer services as it is nothing to do with them, you could ask them if they know how long the waiting times are.

sometimes i will also try the hash key when it gives you the daft amount of numbered options.
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    "Welcome to BT..."
    0#
    "If you are a BT..."
    0#
    "Please choose.."
    0#
    "Please choose..."
    0#
    "Please choose..."
    0#
    "Ring ring"
    "Thanks for calling BT, can I take your account number?"
  • Farway
    Forumite
    Thanks again it worked like a charm, only a 12 min wait at this time of day, not to bad, for the record they blamed my original problem on a computer error.

Gald to be of service :T
  • denise38
    denise38 Posts: 422
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I had know that I would have saved myself hours of waiting for the new system customer services.
    Away to try it out to see if I can get my caller display. Only asked for it 2 weeks ago. Mind you I have been waiting 5 weeks for them to give me my old tel no!!!!!
    I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    denise38 wrote: »
    Away to try it out to see if I can get my caller display.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=65805
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure