Average Gas Bill for 3 bed semi

2»

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 12:11PM
    I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

I'd be over the moon if I was only paying £60 a month!!

Hi Heather220305 and welcome to MSE. :hello:

You certainly seem to be using a lot of gas (unless you have simply exprapolated 4 days of unusually high consumption).
    I live in a 3 bed semi, no double glazing, 20 year old boiler and the heating is on most of every day.
    I'm hoping my quarterly gas bill will be less than £280 for the entire winter quarter! (actually I'm sure it will be as I've seen what consumption the meter has recorded)
    The gas may be slightly lower than yours as we cook via electric, but the electric bill will be no more than £120 for the quarter.

Yes I'm on a credit meter, but I don't benefit from the savings such as paying monthly by DD, online biliing etc (because I don't like those methods)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    £20 every 4 days is not £280 per month it's £5 per day = £150 per month in winter it would then be about the £75 per month mark over the year which isn't that bad.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    I don't think anybody has mentioned this but you bedroom might not be warming up because the radiator isn't the right output for the room.

We had this problem and got a bigger radiator which sorted it.
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • I am on a pay as you go meter and I credit the machine with £20 every 4 days just for gas, which is a staggering £280 a month!! Add on top of that £40 for electricity our energy bills are £320 a month. (For a 3 bed semi, double glazed windows, new combi boiler, electric fire and shower and the heating switched off all day whilst in work)

I'd be over the moon if I was only paying £60 a month!!

Me Too... I'm on a prepay meter and it's costing us £20 every three days! I spoke to British gas this time last year and they rekon I'm on the same tariff as the DD people... Not happy :(
  • I have a 3 bedroom semi and we only pay £40 a month though out the year..I was in £170 credit before the weather changed. I am in house most of day with 19 month old and a 9 week old so heating on a bit at the min. We have Gas fire and Gas hob, but we also have cavity wall, new double glazing couple of years ago, loft is full of insulation.

Sarah
    Extra earning 2012 From Surveys Etc

Pure-profile £50...Valued 80..Onepoll £120
    Panelbase £33.00...Shop/Scan £40..Crowd £18.00..PO £10.45..Spring £20..voice £20
    IPSOS £30...My survey £5..Ebay Sales £350
    Pine £21..JTA £5..RO £20..RewardO£20..Wonder £5.O Bar £31
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
    We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
    The gas has just gone up to £82 a month :eek:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Our semi is always cold. I think some houses are born cold!
    We've had new thick insulation in the loft but the walls are solid so can't have cavity ins. The boiler is a couple of years old.
    The gas has just gone up to £82 a month :eek:
    That's about 28,000kWh at 3.5p per unit. Are you paying arrears off. With a new efficient boiler you should be near or less than the national average of 16,500kWh.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No, we've got no arrears at all, it's just a barn of a house.
    We put a porch on last year and had thick carpet in here, hall, stairs and landing.
    Plus a few years ago had a conservatory fitted on the back but it's still really cold within minutes of the heating switching off but I think the cost would be too high to have it on 24/7?
  • Humour
    Humour Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 27 December 2011 at 7:53PM
    [EDIT]

buttocks firmly slapped by Jalexa, sorry Sir/Maddam, post now removed and new thread started, although I cannot provide a link as Im not allowed since Im a newbie lol

Hum
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Humour wrote: »
    As the title suggests...., therefore I may or may not be hijaking a thread, in which case I appologize in advance if I'm breaking any forum TOS.

Welcome to the Forum.

Its easy to start your own thread.

Use the "New Thread" button at the top left of this page... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure