The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Should I declare myself bankrupt?

2»

Comments

• alastairq wrote: »
    hi...........no idea!

However as long as the debt has been paid, the presence of the CCJ on your credit files [which seems to be the important thing to you?] really won't matter as much as you think, perhaps? As long as it is marked as 'satisfied?'

I was under the impression that a 'satisfied' CCJ would still impact things like a mortgage application?

Apparently it can increase the interest rate on any credit you want to obtain.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    I was under the impression that a 'satisfied' CCJ would still impact things like a mortgage application?

Apparently it can increase the interest rate on any credit you want to obtain.

Sorry, cannot help from experience there....still got to be better than a BR in the past?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • alastairq wrote: »
    Sorry, cannot help from experience there....still got to be better than a BR in the past?

Yes it would be better than that. I didn't realise that is stuck around on your record after it is discharged.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh it sticks around for far longer than discharge. Whilst a BR order drops off your credit file six years after inception, a record of the bankruptcy order remains in perpetuity in the London Gazette, which is also often referenced by lenders.

You also have to declare to a lender when asked that you have previously been bankrupt - for the rest of your life.

Finally, if you have £5,000 elsewhere to pay the CCJ you wouldn't qualify for bankruptcy anyway - you aren't bankrupt if you can afford your debt!

Good luck with the set aside :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure