Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

The MoneySavingExpert.com Charity Fund Discussion

This is the discussion for the

which includes details of The MSE Charity

Please click reply to discuss
Former MSE team member

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    YAY for the MoneySavingExpert.com Charity :wave:

But would it be possible to have links to courses that the charity might recommend?

I know I'd like to get better situated to deal with finances although I'm not exactly a rookie, but also to help other people better, both on the boards and in "real" life :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was wondering what the courses could be? I am not aware of many courses that offer people training to manage their finances and cost up to £500.

Am I right in assuming that non charities can apply? I will email them this question.
  • ahai1
    I have found out that groups with bank accounts and wrriten constitutions can apply for the money.
  • Hi,

Ths is my first post but I am wondering if it would be possible to register the fund with a company I work for (I will not mention any name at present). The company is a utility and telecom supplier and offers organaisiations and charities the oportunity to earn a residual monthly income by referring customers to the company. If consumers call in on a freephone number and quote the unique charity reference, and subsequently become customers of the company, the charity will benefit from approximately 4% of the customers monthly bill for as long as they remain a customer.

As I said, I don't want to mention the company name as I don't know if I am allowed to at this time, but if someone could get back to me if this is possible then I would be delighted to give further details.
  • ahai1
    You can email [EMAIL="stuart@msecharity.com"]stuart@msecharity.com[/EMAIL]
  • tamtam10000
    tamtam10000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    I would love a way to say "thank you" to Martin and his team for all their work, and there's really only so many copies of The Money Diet you can buy! (I've bought 7 copies now, for myself and as gifts). So, I would be happy to see a 'donate to MSE Charity' link next to all the valuable tools (like the budget planner and flight checker) that MSE provides and also on Martin's tips email too.

It is great that this site is free, but many of us (well, me anyway!) would be happy to have the reminder/opportunity to donate a pound or two when we go to use this great stuff.

There are many sites that do this now, and I don't think it's presurising or hectoring in any way. Wikipedia is a good example - they have a simple link that says 'if you like this and it's useful, please donate' or something like that.

Please make it easy to express our appreciation and to donate to this important cause.
    Debt at highest: £68,000 plus mortgages
    Current debt: £0.00!!!:D
    Now I just have to buy my Dad's share of my flat back and I can start on the mortgage...

• ahai1
    That is a good idea in getting donations.
  • ahai1
    edited 3 March at 1:01PM
    Peterchall for guideance you should contact [Removed by Forum Team]

You can support the MSE Charity on everyclick: http://charities.everyclick.com/info.xq?id=163711&name=THE-MSE-CHARITY
  • Thanks for the info Ahai 1. I will send email to Stuart.
  • portchieboy
    portchieboy Posts: 616 Forumite
    Hi

Don't know if you remember, but I suggested 6 months ago or so that we have a Team of runners in the London Marathon, and go for a record donation. Yes, I admit my interest in that I would love to run but have not been able to get in, and I am not the 'outgoing' sort of person who could undertake to raise £2,000+ for a charity place.

I therefore suggested very much what has been discussed above, ie, to encourage site users to give back a little. By that, I mean to sponsor, yes, me, but also other Team members. I for example have made over £1,000 from the (non) gambling advice, and also over £1000 from cashbacks, which I never previously was aware of.

Martin, I think you were going to get back to me once the Charity had been incorporated?

I cannot be alone, and am keen to spread financial responsibility......I am an ex-Banker after all!

This whole would mean the Charity buying a number of Bond places from the organisers, but I think with Martins brilliant marketing skills, this would be well rewarded.

My thanks for listening.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills