IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Not parked, on a car park that no longer exists

Comments

• jjay33
    jjay33 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Great thanks Coupon-mad. I'll get the email sent, and at least I can include that in my evidence should they decide to go all the way.

The signs from what I can make out from Google Street View, don't look to have changed from 2009 thru to 2015, but it's as all these signs are illegible to most ordinary humans anway, there may be small print amends on them somewhere.
  • jjay33
    UPDATE: Just gone to email the claimant and realised I have emailed them before. Bad news is that I emailed them prior to doing any research, as I innocently thought I would genuinely be able to counter their claim with the truth. What a sucker!!!

Email contains the explanation as I have outlined here (on car park for short time, not parked, driver didn't leave car) BUT I have used the word 'I' not 'the driver'. Arrrghhh!!

I received an automated reply, stating they would get back to me, but for me to send them the reference number plus keeper details plus driver details.

I again innocently replied with reference number and keeper details, but no reference to driver specifically.

Yet again received auto-reply.

Then heard nothing more until this year.

Is this going to mess me up - or should I continue to pursue on grounds of not actually parking, leaving out any references to me only being the registered keeper?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes, go with the Grace Periods argument, not enough time allowed for you to find a space or read the signs. No agreement on any contract. And dodgy signs as an argument in itself.

Lose things about the POFA and keeper liability, at least at the hearing it will be easier for you to explain in the first person in an honest way. I still think BW Legal will muck up the signage evidence...I'd be looking for any IPC signs in evidence later on (which cannot have been there in December 2014).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jjay33
    I've managed to find some photographic evidence from another appeal on the same car park, same time of year, but in the evening, for a car that was broken down and on the car park approximately the same amount of time, as well as the signage evidence submitted by BW in relation to that case. The case was won through appeal with POPLA, so that gives me some hope.
  • I think where you have a good defence anyway then there is no point hiding behind "you can't prove I was the driver". Many judges will ask you directly if you were driving and (if you were) bang goes that whole aspect of your defence, and you start off on the back foot. Or a judge can assume, on the balance of probabilities, that you were driving and again, bang goes that whole aspect of things.

So if you have three good defences of rubbish signage so no contract, didn't park anyway so cannot have accepted any contractual terms which may have been offered, grace periods apply, then focus on those rather than getting sidetracked by the driver thing. It might be different if you could genuinely say that several people used your car, produce insurance to back that up, and say that you genuinely can't remember or evidence that it can't have been you.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • On the costs issue I posted about in #9, have a look at this link, and if you look at my thread you will see an extract from a Skeleton Argument which is limited to the costs argument. I'm still trying to find the one I saw which said you can seek more if you can show direct, actual losses which are greater than the amounts mentioned in CPR Part 27 and Practice Direction 27, I'll trawl back through my posts to see if I can find it:

http://insurance.dwf.law/news-updates/2014/12/what-amounts-to-unreasonable-behaviour-in-the-small-claims-track/#unreasonable-behaviour-exception
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Practice direction 46:
    3.2 Where a self represented litigant wishes to prove that the litigant has suffered financial loss, the litigant should produce to the court any written evidence relied on to support that claim, and serve a copy of that evidence on any party against whom the litigant seeks costs at least 24 hours before the hearing at which the question may be decided
    3.4 The amount, which may be allowed to a self represented litigant under rule 45.39(5)(b) and rule 46.5(4)(b), is £19 per hour.

Rule 46.5(4) says this:
    (4) The amount of costs to be allowed to the litigant in person for any item of work claimed will be –
    (a) where the litigant can prove financial loss, the amount that the litigant can prove to have been lost for time reasonably spent on doing the work; or
    (b) where the litigant cannot prove financial loss, an amount for the time reasonably spent on doing the work at the rate set out in Practice Direction 46.

So I think that £19 is the default, but if you can prove something greater then you would get the greater hourly rate. Eg. if you are paid £50 per hour, then as long as you can produce evidence of that then there's no reason why you couldn't argue for £50 per hour rather than £19.
  • jjay33
    Thanks Loadsofchildren, that's great, I'll look into this in more detail. It would be karma if I won, and then presented the claimant with a bill for my time at my current rate. Thanks for looking this up for me :T
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think where you have a good defence anyway then there is no point hiding behind "you can't prove I was the driver". Many judges will ask you directly if you were driving and (if you were) bang goes that whole aspect of your defence, and you start off on the back foot. Or a judge can assume, on the balance of probabilities, that you were driving and again, bang goes that whole aspect of things.

So if you have three good defences of rubbish signage so no contract, didn't park anyway so cannot have accepted any contractual terms which may have been offered, grace periods apply, then focus on those rather than getting sidetracked by the driver thing. It might be different if you could genuinely say that several people used your car, produce insurance to back that up, and say that you genuinely can't remember or evidence that it can't have been you.

Could not agree more. The template is great for appeals where the motorist has no real stand-out reasons, but if there is something like POFA out of time or Grace periods or double-dipping, then that should be the main challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure