Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

Comments

• ooberandy
    ooberandy Posts: 50
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello,

Im on o2 & have been for about 3 years now. My phone contract is for 200 x network minutes & 500 text per month, which WAS costing me £30 per month(12 month contract).

Basically i asked if they could reduce the cost of my contract, bearing in mind that my girlfriend had just had hers reduced to £15 per month. Within seconds they said i could have my contract for £15 too (staying with a 12 month contract). Bargain.

The only draw back with this is that upgrading to a new 'top of the range' phone will cost you money, but there are some phones that are free.

So far, just by asking for a reduction in cost of contract, 2 more of my friends have managed to get the same deal.

Try it!!!!!![/SIZE]
  • fruitcake_2
    fruitcake_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    I have been an Orange customer for 3 years now, last time i upgraded i went through to customer retentions and thought i'd got a good deal. This time however i took adifferent stance. I just phoned up 3 weeks before my contract was due to end and upgraded to the premier 600 plan, then you can choose almost any phone you desire. You then have a cooloing off period for 7 days where you can return your phone, cancel etc. This is now the time to haggle and threaten to leave. I got a price match to a Three deal. For £35.00 trhey gave me 750 Xnet mins, free insurance for the year and when i asked they threw in 30 free texts. Obviously they don;t want the phone back. Isn't haggling great.

Rob :rotfl:

can you please tell me where the benefits of being a premier600 are stated clearly, as I have been on this tarrif for nine months, and was expecting a £330 cashback, which has not come through. I have a very old sony ericcson, and was in the process of changing down to talk15 for my remaining months, but if there is a way of getting a better phone then it may be worth staying on this tarrif for another month, I pay £55 a month and don't know what I'm entitled to....yeah I know...
  • james123
    james123 Posts: 243
    Forumite
    on the premier tariff you can upgrade ur handset to one of the higher spec models for free after 9 mnths instead of having to wait until ur contract has finished, however you willl have to sign up for a further 12 mnths
    Copy from one, it’s plagiarism; copy from two, it’s research.
  • fruitcake_2
    fruitcake_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    Cheers James, I've tried to look up the benefits in detail on the orange site but I can only find the headlines, like free insurance...but theres condiitions(which I can't seem to find), the upgrade is great, as my phone that came with the premier 600 broke four months ago, and I'm using another phone with the sim card.....but was looking to upgrade for my partner to a Nokia 8860, will try and find more info, then give them a call.
    Could you tell me if I have to remain on the current talk plan for 12months if they give me the phone?
  • Thank you. I've been on O2 400 (£45)for 2 years and have now mqanaged to get my line rental down to £15 a month thanks to your article. I had to phone them twice and the second person was more experienced and offered me different options. thanks again :j
  • james123
    james123 Posts: 243
    Forumite
    @fruitcake,

i believe you have to stay on it for 6 of the twelve months after you sign up, then you can change down, however if you do this remember you'll lose your orange "care" insurance unless you add it to the new tariff, also if your old handset broke after 4 months, orange care should replace it, there is sometimes a £15 "admin" fee for this however i'm on the same tariff and had two replacement handsets and never been charged it. Even if you goiing to upgrade your handset you may as well get the old one replaced before you upgrade so you have a decent spare.
    Copy from one, it’s plagiarism; copy from two, it’s research.
  • I've had a mobile contract with O2 for just over a year. I decided a few weeks ago to upgrade my phone and question why tarifs online were alot better than the deal I had. Without any effort at all my monthly line rental was cut from £30 to £15 a month and my free minutes doubled to 500 x net per month and further more my free texts also doubled to 200 per month.

Also ,after talking to the very helpful sales assistant for about 20 mins (the call is free if you dial 402 from your mobile) she sent me out a new phone without charge. The bonus being that if I didn't like it I could send it back within 14 days and chose another one. I was also informed that if I didn't want a new phone they would credit my bill £75, so if your happy with yours its worth a free phonecall!

:j :j :j :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :j :j :j
  • avondale
    avondale Posts: 127
    Forumite
    Currently with 3 mobile, my contract ends in july 2006, as part of my money saving scheme to pay off my mortgage early i wish to save save save. I was currently on a 750 mins contract with 75 texts bolted on total cost being £40 per month before vat. Now reduced my contract to £30 a month which is for 500 mins airtime and 100 texts which is called talk and text 600. I spoke with the delightful customer services( not) in bombay and asked why i couldn't just go to pay a you go, apparently i am able to downgrade my contract monthly but only to the tariff immediately below it. Does anyone know if this is the case and has anyone had any joy with 3 in terms of getting better deals, will i be in a better position to barter the nearer i come to completion of my contract, obviously downgrading my contract monthly as long as i don't go over alloted time/texts i believe i am saving a few quid.
    I am looking at an internet site that sells mobiles that will give me basically a free contract for a year on an 02 tariff via means of money back cheques, the airtime amount is reasonable, but the phone i believe looks like it was stolen from Noah's Ark.
    Any advice will be appreciated
  • loates123
    loates123 Posts: 798 Forumite
    with orange

talked to cancel department

could not much offer from 3 that i saw

goodbye orange your service is shocking
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D
  • avondale wrote:
    Currently with 3 mobile, my contract ends in july 2006, as part of my money saving scheme to pay off my mortgage early i wish to save save save. I was currently on a 750 mins contract with 75 texts bolted on total cost being £40 per month before vat. Now reduced my contract to £30 a month which is for 500 mins airtime and 100 texts which is called talk and text 600. I spoke with the delightful customer services( not) in bombay and asked why i couldn't just go to pay a you go, apparently i am able to downgrade my contract monthly but only to the tariff immediately below it. Does anyone know if this is the case and has anyone had any joy with 3 in terms of getting better deals, will i be in a better position to barter the nearer i come to completion of my contract, obviously downgrading my contract monthly as long as i don't go over alloted time/texts i believe i am saving a few quid.
    I am looking at an internet site that sells mobiles that will give me basically a free contract for a year on an 02 tariff via means of money back cheques, the airtime amount is reasonable, but the phone i believe looks like it was stolen from Noah's Ark.
    Any advice will be appreciated

Hi, I have been a three customer for 2 years now, and have just completed my second 12 month contract. I am now going to move to T-mobiles new flext tarriff, so I just called up three to get my PAC code. I am currently on talk and text 900 (750min 150txt, costs £40 p/month) and because I said I was going to leave I was offered double minutes for six months and any handset if I stayed on the same price plan. I was also told that could use my PAC code to port my number to a pay as you go sim with three, which could be useful if you want to keep your number but dont want to pay monthly line rental. You will definatly be able to barter once your contract has come to an end. I hope that this helps!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback