Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks everyone, happy birthday to your mum mrs money penny :)

MWC, it sounds really sad but it's changed my life, no early morning stress just up and dressed :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Happy birthday Newgirly x
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £14950.12/£22787.04
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    _party_have a wonderful day NG_party_
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • newgirly
    Thanks pavlovs ands AJ :)

I had a lovely day yesterday, lots of nice presents and some cash too. We never made it to the garden centre as dh had work paperwork to do urgently, so we will go next week.

I have the day off today :j am going shopping with the plan of buying a new handbag to go with the new clothes with some of my birthday money.

One of the best presents I got was a copy of "a girl called jack"s new cookbook. I read the whole thing last night and it's really good, I can highly recommend it and it was only £7 on amaz*n the other day, fab recipes with very cheap basic ingredients , low fat and easy to make. I've made a few of her recipes already but there are a lot more in the book than on the blog.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Belated birthday wishes and great news on the cqpsule wardrobe.♡♥♡
  • newgirly
    edited 3 March 2014 at 7:39PM
    Hi alchemilla , thanks :)

Its been a good day today, I bought myself a new cath kidst*n navy spotty bag with
    some of my birthday money (in the sale of course ;)) and also had lunch bought for me! I've been very lucky :)

Off to the gym soon to try and work off the half a box of chocs I ate earlier :o

I'm trying to back to a bit more old school mfw-ing , since last year it's been borrowing for the loft conversion, spending for it on using the 0% cards etc. and no actual mortgage oping. Although the next 2 years (if we are lucky !) will still be repaying the loan and debts , I want to get a bit more back to the stuff I used to do to squeeze the pennies.

So inspired by my new cook book:

Make all meals from scratch, also :

Stop eating out / takeaways
    Start air drying some of the washing (still have my wonderful heated airer:happyhear)
    Heating off as much as poss
    Try and make some snacks for the hungry teens, less carp from the supermarket
    Lots of no wine days :(
    Bake bread
    Start one poll again
    Ditto valued opinions
    Start a jar for saving for treats
    Clear the log cabin of excess junk that was previously in loft , Clean out hot tub and make room look gorgeous so kids can have friends over more (and go out spending a little less)
    Buy some herbs for cooking again, last year's died
    Start doing a bit of DIY and decorating again
    If time do a few Xmas makes
    start making laundry detergent again

Phew that's it for the moment, any other suggestions are very welcome :D
  • newgirly
    Very excited after logging on to onepoll, I now have £12.15 after doing about £3 worth of surveys , just need to keep it up. :D

I'm getting my mojo back :dance:
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Great to hear, newgirly! :)

I really must get my mitts on that recipe book. Can't think of any more amazing MSE tips off the top of my head, sounds like you've covered most bases there. :money:

The capsule wardrobe sounds fab :D

PS. Happy belated birthday! :bdaycake:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    Hi pearla, just caught on on your diary spooky :D

It's been a very busy week, I have been to the gym 3 nights running , plus work and now am body tired but brain active if that makes sense :rotfl:

Top of the list is reserving the remortgage rate, I can reserve as of the 3rd march, ready to change in May. But the last day or two I've noticed a few news items about the upturn and the knock on effect on interest rates , it seems even if the base rate doesn't go up in the near future the longer term fixes are starting to, in anticipation of the base rate rise.

So important task of tomorrow is reserve the 5 yr fix (3.59% can't change provider ;)) before costs rise again.

Not much else to report, except I have tried mr t value beet root and like it , it's the little pleasures in life :D
  • newgirly
    New mortgage rate reserved :beer: balance is about £146k with 8 yrs 2 mths left to go on interest only :eek: I need to extend the term really but they will only do it if we switch back to repayment , but we want to clear the debts first, which will take 2 years. :(

I have now been on the mfw board just shy of 4 yrs, when I joined we changed mortgage provider and switched mortgage term from 33 yrs to 12 with an end date of April 2022, I am a bit gutted that we probably won't make it. Maybe a new more realistic target would be may 2026 witch is exactly 25 years after we bought the house (with a 25 yr mortgage) I guess with only one average income for most of the time and three growing kids something has to give.

We could probably tighten our belts a lot more, but I feel that at the moment we are doing ok, still mostly frugal with occasional weekends away and the odd takeaway. But no new cars holidays etc. Me going back to work has made a big difference to the finances, at least the building work we have had done will take a couple of years to pay for not the 7 years of the original loan term.

I'm going In To work today as dh has staff off and lots of work, I may need to do an extra day a week for a while , unfortunately unpaid but I am getting the equivalent days in holiday which will come in handy in the school holidays.

This weekend I plan on getting some cheap multipacks of plants from bq and planting them in the front garden with some little wall hanging planters i bought in £ land yesterday with my birthday money. Other than that it's just sorting out the bomb site that is our house :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback