Gadget/laptop travel insurance long stay

Hi...I will be moving to India for a year or so to work/volunteer and am looking for insurance that will cover my MacBook Pro while I’m away. I will be travelling around so am looking for a policy that covers damage, loss and theft for that time. I’m struggling to find an insurer that covers more that 120 days, if anyone knows where I could find this, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2017 at 6:13PM
    I cannot think of a gadget provider which would offer cover abroad for more than 180 days.

Any potential claim may have to be made through your contents insurance, if applicable.

EDIT - if you do have contents insurance, ensure it has personal possessions cover for cover outside of the home. Check the limit on this, as some will have an inner limit of £500 or £1000 which may not cover the Macbook Pro. If this is the case, you may wish to specify the item at what it would cost to replace brand new on a spec-for-spec basis, which may increase your premiums.
  • Also check that it covers such a long duration abroad.

Point to consider, could you consider yourself a UK resident for this year out; you may struggle to convince an insurer of the same which would mean you couldn't readily get contents insurance anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure