Bad credit etc.

Hello. Can anyone tell me how my son finds out if his bad credit is over without incurring more bad 'footprints' on his credit score? The 6 years should be over in 2018, but he needs to be sure. When he attempted to get a mortgage a couple of years ago, it made things worse.He would like to try again in 2018, as he is financially secure now, but needs to know exactly where he stands. Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Register on all 3 of the CRA's and check the accounts.

User Noddle for Call Credit, Clearscore for Equifax and the MSE Credit Club for Experian
  • Check the data, ignore the score.
  • As !!! says, register with all the CRAs. Searching your own reports doesn't leave a footprint that the lenders see.

And as ZX81 says ignore the score. It is the detail on the reports that matters.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Hello. Can anyone tell me how my son finds out if his bad credit is over without incurring more bad 'footprints' on his credit score? The 6 years should be over in 2018, but he needs to be sure. When he attempted to get a mortgage a couple of years ago, it made things worse.He would like to try again in 2018, as he is financially secure now, but needs to know exactly where he stands. Any advice gratefully received.

Just one thing, as the CRAs have already been covered.

Your son did not make his credit files worse by applying for a mortgage. Read the credit score guide here and pass it along to your son: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

Basically, credit searches are like tractor pulling. The more you make, the harder it gets. This is intentional to prevent someone going on a credit binge and borrowing far more than they should in a short space of time. The effects of searches is not a permanent thing, and your credit history is always the long term guide to how your financial health looks to lenders.

Basically, to a mortgage lender, defaults, CCJs, Arrangements to Pay and Pay Day Lender accounts are their kryptonite. If your son access his credit history and still has any of these, seek advice from an adverse credit broker IRT getting a mortgage.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure