Redundancy Pay

CRAZY:HORSE_2
CRAZY:HORSE_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
edited 30 August 2017 at 7:57PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Okay I'll try and keep this short and simple! I have worked at the same place now for 13 years and over that time we have had several new employers for whom I have tupeed over. I have always had a contract up infill 3 years ago when my role was made obsoliet and I was offered a different position, still doing the same job might I add but I won't go into that, I was put on a zero hours contract even tho I work the same regular shift pattern. I did seek advice at the time and I was told that I could accept redundancy pay , which wouldn't have kept me going for long or take the position on a zero hours contract.

Since then I have tupeed over to another company working at the same place and obviously still on a zero hours contract!!

My question is to you helpful people is in the likely event of being told that my services are no longer needed would I be entitled to compensation for the reason that I have had 13 years continuation of work on a contract and just under three years on a zero hours contract.

Many thanks:)

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't see how.

You are on a zero hours contact. They do not have to let you go, just stop giving you hours.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Q. What's a dream for employers but a nightmare for employees?
    A. A zero hours contract!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    It may not really be a zero hours,

you may still be an employee.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    It may not really be a zero hours,

you may still be an employee.
    This I agree with!

If you are genuinely a zero hours worker, there is no entitlement to redundancy pay. The redundancy happened when you took the zero hours! But it's probably too late to get that redundancy pay!

You would have to be able to show to a tribunals satisfaction that the zero hours contract was a fiction and you are still an employee. Do you get paid sick pay and/ or holidays? Can you refuse to go to work? Can you decide to simply not turn up? You say you sought advice - from who?
  • I have my 28 days holiday still and I still work the same regular shift pattern! Just to make it clear it was my old employer that put me on a zero hours contract after my supervisor position was made obsoliet.
    I have asked my current employer which I tupeed over to about a contract but I've heard nothing! Surely for someone who has worked at the same place for all these years and working the same shift pattern shouldn't be on a zero hours?
    Thanks for the info!!
  • So its happening!!

Just been told that our positions at my place of work are no longer available and my manager has said that he can get me a job with another company.

When I questioned him about redundancy he said it wouldn't be much, even though I have worked here 14 years!!

Now I do get holiday pay and I am allowed sick pay , I have an employee number and can log on to the employee section portal to book holidays etc and to view all my pay slips.

This to me shows that I am an employee and not just a worker.

What do you guys think? This looks like happening before Christmas too so I need some advice please.

Do you think its a good idea to print off as much of my info off the employee portal as possible showing the things I have stated so they don't try and pull a fast one!!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Well the first thing to do is to find out what redundancy pay they are proposing. Workers can be listed on portal - that had no legal meaning. What matters is the extent of the control you have to refuse work whoever you want to - which sounds like that answer is not at all. But ask for the details first - don't start from assuming there is a problem until we establish there is one, because putting your employers back up is never a great first move. Save it until you have no choice! But yes, whatever evidence you can get - without doing anything that might cause your dismissal - get it. But don't take risks because dismissal is so much cheaper fit them....
  • Thank you for your response, nothing has been made official yet but in a brief phone call my operations manager never mentioned redundancy , all he said was that he knows someone in a different company who has a job for me and tried to push me in to a meeting with him. They have no role or job for me for the company I actually work for, which I think would give me grounds for redundancy pay.

I can find my own job I don't need him to find me one working for another company just so they don't have to pay redundancy pay, I've had it before where they try all the tricks in the book to try and get out of paying .

So yeah they haven't proposed anything about redundancy and when I mentioned it he just tried to change the subject, now am only after whats owed to me and to support my family.

Thanks for the info ill keep you posted.
    Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport