DWP Benefit Debt

Hi Folks,
I desperately need some help with a letter I recieved recently from the DWP stating I owed them money from 1998. I wrote to them twice asking them to prove that I owed this money and I also pointed out to them that in or around 2003 -2005 I paid them back almost £700 in installments for the debt they say I currently owe. I had to send a recorded delivery letter to them and got a rspnse yesterday with 2 print outs showing the payments I recieved which totalled almost £700.00. The letter states that I owe this money from 1998 but that they do not keep records of repayments from more than 2 years ago, how absurd is this.

On top of that a Debt Collection Agency called Frederickson International are constantly writing to me and calling my phone. In my letter to the DWP I told them that this company was causing me severe mental distress but in the DWP response they say they have not called in this Debt collection agency, however the figures qouted by the DWP and the figures qouted by Frederickson International are complete matches.

I am at my wits end with this and am getting to the point where I feel almost suicidal over this. I currently recieve DLA and try desperately to hold down a job whenever I can but this situation is now affecting my health adversely and I have been unable to work fort he last few weeks, and no work means no pay so I am finding myself on something of a hamster wheel.

I'm not disputing that I receieved government moeny but I know I paid it back after coming to an agreement with the DWP all those years ago, Can someone please give me some advice on this before I get to the point of crawling under my duvet and never coming back out please?

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Lmillar2, thank youf ro your query regarding DWP debt
    If you want to dispute this benefit overpayment I would suggest you seek advice from a benefits adviser to go through the process with you. You can find you local Citizens Advice Bureau at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Would the bank not have records of these payments? Can you not ask them to provide printoutsof payments made to the dwp by standing order (or however your paid) between x and y dates. Hopefully they can easily just print it out for you,ifnot you willneed to find out how much it willcost youto get thisinformation. Then you just have to send the info. to the dwp.
    Clearly the dwp should have the info themselves and you shouldn't have to pay etc but it may be easier just to provide them the proof they need.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business