Renting with a DRO

Hi so me and my husband both had DRO in 2014. We have just applied to rent a new house and waiting for a response from our credit checks and references. I never thought about if the DRO will effect this. I've put it down on the forms when it was so they are aware of it and know it's still on my credit file.
Anyone had any experience of trying to rent a house with a DRO on your file?
I'm hoping worse case they will ask for a guarantor which is fine.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well since they cant see your file, they wouldn't know, unless you tell them - which you did.

Honestly it's ultimately a landlords decision, and they need to decide whether to risk it or pay the mortgage themselves for a while longer.
  • Thanks for the reply. Part of the process includes a credit check so they will see my file and will see the dro on it. Hoping the fact I have been honest with them will help. We'll see.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2017 at 2:37PM
    Hi kidston

Any credit check run by a lettings agency is not necessarily as detailed a check as one run by, say, a potential mortgage lender, but it is designed to flag up any publicly available data e.g. county court judgments from the past six years and any and insolvency proceedings still showing on the Insolvency Service register. Your DRO should disappear from that register three months after it has ended, so should not be visible now.

It's academic in this case as you have declared it, so it now just remains to be seen whether they feel the extra security of a guarantor (or large upfront deposit?) is necessary.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

EDIT - cross-posted with your response.
    Further EDIT - see my later post below.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Comms69
    kidston wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Part of the process includes a credit check so they will see my file and will see the dro on it. Hoping the fact I have been honest with them will help. We'll see.
    Letting agents only see public data.
  • Comms69
    Hi kidston

Contrary to the above reply, the DRO would normally be visible on any credit check run by a lettings agency - it's not necessarily as detailed a check as one run by, say, a potential mortgage lender, but it is designed to flag up any county court judgments and insolvency proceedings from the past six years.

It's academic in this case anyway, so it now just remains to be seen whether they feel the extra security of a guarantor (or large upfront deposit?) is necessary.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

EDIT - cross-posted with your response.

Letting agents only see public data, a DRO is removed from the public registry after 15 months.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Comms69, human error on my part - I'll amend earlier post to prevent any confusion.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • I've just had a call off the estate agent saying we failed the credit check because of the DRO on our credit file. She said it would be visual on there for credit checks for 6 years which is what I was told when I took out the DRO. They have said the landlord is happy to go ahead with a guarantor though thankfully.
  • Comms69
    kidston wrote: »
    I've just had a call off the estate agent saying we failed the credit check because of the DRO on our credit file. She said it would be visual on there for credit checks for 6 years which is what I was told when I took out the DRO. They have said the landlord is happy to go ahead with a guarantor though thankfully.

Yes it is visible on your file for 6 years. BUT she cant see that.
  • I've previously had a DRO and managed to rent direct from Landlords rather than through estate agents with no problems. I've explained why it happened and why things are better now. My current rental didn't even ask for a gurantor and I've never missed a rent payment in my life.

If you find you do keep getting declined, try a more direct route.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 December 2017 at 6:57PM
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Yes it is visible on your file for 6 years. BUT she cant see that.

There are various types of credit check a landlord can make.

A basic “landlord” check, costs £6 and just shows public information, as the DRO is listed under public information, it will be seen by anyone searching your file.

When a landlord is running a credit check on a tenant, they will only be able to see publicly available data on the resulting credit report. The landlord will not see information about the tenant’s existing credit commitments, like credit cards, loans, mobile phone contracts etc.

A landlord will be able to see the following publicly available data on a tenant’s credit report:

Court judgements
    Insolvency records
    Tenant’s full name
    Tenant’s current address
    Voter registration details
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure