MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Today I've received an email from Amazon, which reads as follows :

Starting this month Amazon online is no longer keeping personal data on his server more than six months. For this the account must be validated and payment methods verified every six months. Every account that is not verified in this period will be suspended in 48 hours from this email was send.

I suspect this email isn't genuine and haven't proceeded to validate my account. Has anyone else received one?

That's about as fake as it gets! I think you already know that, though. :)
  • Absolutely :). However, am I a recipient of this email because of the Equifax scam?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Today I've received an email from Amazon, which reads as follows :

Starting this month Amazon online is no longer keeping personal data on his server more than six months.

Amazon is male? :rotfl:
  • Absolutely :). However, am I a recipient of this email because of the Equifax scam?

Probably not - I received the same email about a year ago :)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    Dealing with fraud is part of my job, i understand exactly how some people can be affected, i deal with it every day, so i really don't underestimate the effects it can have.

I just feel, and yes, it's just my opinion, that some people worry way too much about stuff that may never happen.

Yes, some people do worry but who can blame them? This sort of thing pops up out of the blue - I got my letter today - just a "sorry, somebody's accessed your data" but don't worry just speak to somebody the other side of the world, who barely speak English who are just following a script, give them a load more private information and all will be well.

You'll forgive me if I do worry - the people who have allowed this to happen need to be held to account - named and shamed, and never be allowed to work in the financial sector again.

You are just telling folk to deal with problems if they crop up - why not give them proper advice on how to stop the problems in the first place?
  • Well I received my letter today :x

I don't think I'll be taking them up on the offer as I'm already with Noodle and Clearscore. CIFAS is tempting but I don't think I'd enjoy the frustration when I actually do want to access credit.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Yes, some people do worry but who can blame them? This sort of thing pops up out of the blue - I got my letter today - just a "sorry, somebody's accessed your data" but don't worry just speak to somebody the other side of the world, who barely speak English who are just following a script, give them a load more private information and all will be well.

You'll forgive me if I do worry - the people who have allowed this to happen need to be held to account - named and shamed, and never be allowed to work in the financial sector again.

You are just telling folk to deal with problems if they crop up - why not give them proper advice on how to stop the problems in the first place?

The details of debit/credit cards and accounts etc are going to be stored somewhere, banks and retailers are always going to be at risk of this information being hacked or stolen. To think that there could be a time when this would never happen again is naive really.

If the people involved are named and shamed and never allowed to work in the financial sector again, there are thousands of dishonest others waiting to take their place, Sad, but a fact of life.

People need to become more savvy about what they do with their information, check who they are giving their info to BEFORE signing up. This forum has numerous threads from posters who do precisely the opposite then shout "SCAM"

Stopping the problem completely in this day and age is never going to happen. As i said before, i'm the sort of person who doesn't worry about things before they happen, I appreciate not everyone is the same.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The problem of course with Equifax & the other CRAs is that you never do "sign up" to them. You have no choice in the info they hold, unless you can live totally off the grid, which whilst I am sure it is possible would be extremely difficult for anyone who actually had a life.

But any company that has such bad internal processes that they can have people with username and password as admin is definitely not fit for purpose.
  • I think it's quite shocking that Equifax are still in the process of sending these letters out! This fiasco happened last May and those affected should have been informed promptly!
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've just got my letter
    they say all this info has been accessed:-

- name and address
    - date of birth
    - username and password
    - secret question and answer
    - first and last 4 digits of my credit card

I am astounded.
    These credit reference agencies are entrusted with our most sensitive, privileged and confidential data, and of all parties, must understand the huge importance of data.
    On top of that, we have no choice in their obtaining and maintaining this data.

How then did their systems allow this breach?
    How then are they not liable, personally to me, for that breach?

It's chickenfeed to give me free access to my own report which they hold

Should not there be an imperative for substantial damages and for heads to roll?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure