Refund to voucher when paid by credit card

Hi,
I am wondering if someone can help. I recently bought lots of items from an online retailer. For argument's sake, let's say £500 worth. I paid £100 by voucher and £400 by credit card.
I then returned £200 of goods, retaining £300 worth.
The retailer has refunded £100 to the voucher and £100 to the credit card.
Obviously, I wanted to use the £100 voucher towards the goods that I retained!
To my mind this is forcing me to spend more money with the retailer when there is nothing else I want to buy with the voucher.
The full amount of the refund due (£200) is less than the total balance that was made up by credit card (£400), so to my mind it should be refunded to my credit card.
Is the retailer allowed to do this?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Yes, they are.

The only way to get around it is to return all the goods and re buy those you want with the gift card.
  • I didn’t know that. Every day is a school day.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • It would come down to the T+Cs that you agreed to when you obtained the voucher(s) and when you made the purchase.

I disagree that it is necessarily the case that they are entitled to apply the refund in the way they did. In the absence of any mention in T+Cs, the fairest way would be pro-rata both amounts - ie refund £40 in voucher, and £160 to the card.

If you're within the period of time during which you can return everything for a refund, then you have some bargaining power. Why not ask them to handle the transaction the way you wanted, else you'll return and re-buy, as suggested by IAmWales?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure