PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please item missing from house.

Options
2»

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm, I am more hopeful than the other posters. I think there is a standard question in the enquiries before contract that asks whether all items on the EA's particulars are included in the sale. Assuming that this was answered 'yes' then the dresser is yours. It's 7 years since we last moved, and I am speaking from memory here.

It's definitely worth checking with your solicitor before rushing out to buy a replacement.

I would definitely hold the cat as ransom. Is it a nice one? :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • TheDink
    TheDink Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote:
    Hmmm, I am more hopeful than the other posters. I think there is a standard question in the enquiries before contract that asks whether all items on the EA's particulars are included in the sale. Assuming that this was answered 'yes' then the dresser is yours. It's 7 years since we last moved, and I am speaking from memory here.

It's definitely worth checking with your solicitor before rushing out to buy a replacement.

I would definitely hold the cat as ransom. Is it a nice one? :)

I moved a couple of months ago and this question is still in the fixtures and fittings list. However, I think there is a statement underneath it saying "If no, the estate agents' details should be updated".
  • financial_filly
    Options
    We are in the process of selling my late grandmother's house and my mum has just had to fill in a fixtures and fittings list and it does say that "are all the items listed in ea particulars included in the sale ? If no contact ea immediately to update particulars". My mum also had to check thorugh the ea details when the house first went on the market to check that all the details were correct etc. and she had to sign a form to say everything was correct..something to do with misdescriptions act as well i beleive.

Fingers crossed you get something sorted out. When me & oh and new baby moved to our new house we had one or two surprises (no place in kitchen for a washing machine, some bedroom furniture missing and a garden bench) but we were so relieved (& I was still recovering from c-section & a prem baby) just to be in our home (after a long drawn out process) that as long as they left the lightbulbs we were happy!!! :rotfl:

If i was you I would just try and think of xmas in your new home, the first one after you become a first time home owner is wonderful..hope you manage to enjoy it :) :beer:
    Brendan's new dance partner...please :D
  • misfire
    misfire Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    With regards to the cat - it is called 'cat abandonment' and the owners could be charged for this.

One of our cats kept going to our old house we did everything to settle it her and in the end had to rehome her. The person we bought this of did nothing to stop her cat coming back (let it out after 5 mins in new house 3 streets away... and it was an evil cat) i caught it once and took it back (it was ill and weak by then). In the course of this whole thing I spoke in depth to the rspca and the centre that rehomed our cat and both told me of this cat abandonment thing. If you cant get the old people to take it - if it is a lockable cat flap lock it so the cat comes in but cant get out, catch it put it in a suitable cat carrier (someone may be able to lend you one) or cardboard box with airholes and ring RSPCA or rescue home to come and get it. (this is how we got our awol cat back! luckily we knew where she was going). It doesnt matter if you feed it or not if it thinks that your house is his then he will keep coming back (we tried everything with our cat but she was convinced she still lived at the old house).

With the fixtures and fittings we had the opposite the lady left lots of stuff - full attic - fridge freezer etc... we cleared most of the attic, the garden top is still full of junk and we got a charity to eventually come get the fridge freezer.... it was a nightmare having to store it till they could get it! Our house was detailed as having off road parking it was only when we got here we realised it wasnt a drop curb. We also looked at one that stated the house was semidetached it was infact end of terrace - i never rely on the details. The form where they tick what was staying is legally binding if it isnt on there you dont have much hope. It is such a shame when people are so deseptive.

Enjoy your new home.
    anita
    Debt free May 2016 (without the support of MSE forum users that would never have been possible - thank you all)
  • Matthew2005
    Options
    We have just bought a house yesterday.
    We went in today to clean it and a welsh dresser that was supposed to be in the sale has gone! I cant believe it, he must have just got up and left. I've now had to employ an English Dresser at a much higher cost.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    misfire wrote:
    With the fixtures and fittings we had the opposite the lady left lots of stuff - full attic - fridge freezer etc... we cleared most of the attic, the garden top is still full of junk and we got a charity to eventually come get the fridge freezer.... it was a nightmare having to store it till they could get it! Our house was detailed as having off road parking it was only when we got here we realised it wasnt a drop curb. We also looked at one that stated the house was semidetached it was infact end of terrace - i never rely on the details. The form where they tick what was staying is legally binding if it isnt on there you dont have much hope. It is such a shame when people are so deseptive.

Enjoy your new home.
    anita

Off topic slightly, but leaving a house full of rubbish is an equal offense to taking things that are on the fixtures and fittings list with you. You should have informed your solicitor of this as it is not your responsibility to clear out old tat!
  • bobmccluckie
    Options
    1) Get back at them - Shoot the cat
    2) In France its not unusual to find houses stripped of kitchens, bathrooms and all electrical fittings when you move in. Look on the bright side!
  • xela_17
    xela_17 Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved into our first house last year we found a pile of leaves in the middle of the living room and a door that didn't belong anywhere in the house lying on the bedroom floor. The sellers had also gouged out the nice dimmer light switches and replaced them very badly with nasty white plastic ones, including one that was broken. Then they expected us to send on their mail!
    What did I do at work before I discovered MSE?!

DFD - WAS: a while ago

NOW - not sure, due to boyfriend going back to uni for masters and now pgce. Worth it in the long run!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport