PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Proper old style! Living on WW2 rations

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Stretching the butter with oil must be what those spreadable butters are. However in terms of rations, it won't work because the oil would have to come from the cooking fat allowance!

I think the lesson for me is that I just eat too much butter and that I need to learn healthier habits. I thought the worst part of the diet would be the lack of meat but cooking tasty meatless dishes has been no problem. Whether to blow the best part of the egg and butter ration to assuage my sudden lust for lemon drizzle cake is a whole other matter. Coffee and cake at a local cafe might be the answer.

PS Caronc, I do hope you are feeling better.
    Thanks I'm getting there I think :)
    PS- Is there such a thing as too much butter in one's life ? ;):rotfl::rotfl:
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stretching the butter with oil must be what those spreadable butters are. However in terms of rations, it won't work because the oil would have to come from the cooking fat allowance!

I think the lesson for me is that I just eat too much butter and that I need to learn healthier habits. I thought the worst part of the diet would be the lack of meat but cooking tasty meatless dishes has been no problem. Whether to blow the best part of the egg and butter ration to assuage my sudden lust for lemon drizzle cake is a whole other matter. Coffee and cake at a local cafe might be the answer.

PS Caronc, I do hope you are feeling better.

Butter is much healthier for you then margarine

I'd rather have plain bread then use margerine
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    This site and the recipes thereon may be of relevance

https://the1940sexperiment.com/100-wartime-recipes/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bouicca, you are absolutely right, I think that the loss of fats affected people even more than the loss of meat and sugar.

I remember when I was at Primary School a regiment of Canadians stationed near-by made a gift to the children in the school of spam and lard. To make it a fair distribution we were all to dip into a box and take out a slip of folded paper which either said 'spam' or 'lard' and we would be given a small package of whatever we had won.
    I left for school that afternoon with my mother's words ringing in my ears, "Dip for lard, please dip for lard."
    Unusually for me the fates were kind and I did get the lard. I have never been more proud and my mother had never been more grateful.
    Looking back it seems an odd thing to give to schoolchildren but it was just before D-day, so perhaps they were clearing the stocks before they moved out.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Coffee and cake at a local cafe might be the answer.

You can have a rock bun with half a currant in it.

No lemons in wartime.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can have a rock bun with half a currant in it.

No lemons in wartime.

No coffee either, unless you had a fancy for Bev or Camp.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Well into the 1960s my mother had a "dripping jar" into which she emptied any fat . She never bought fat for cooking except marge and lard for baking.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    No coffee either, unless you had a fancy for Bev or Camp.

Omg I loved camp coffee as a nipper, it was the only ‘coffee’ my nan ever had. Every day at 11, Mrs Williams from upstairs would come down, nan would take her house coat off and put a tablecloth over the oil cloth on the table and we would all sit at the table and drink coffee. It was always made with milk and I remember Mrs Williams sat there in her hat and coat, drinking the coffee from the saucer :rotfl:
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my imaginary world there are no shortages so I can have lemons and coffee (and wine).

They used to advertise Camp coffee on Radio Luxembourg. I bought some, and omg was it disgusting.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Well into the 1960s my mother had a "dripping jar" into which she emptied any fat . She never bought fat for cooking except marge and lard for baking.
    I still have one :rotfl:, though not for cooking, I save up any hard fat and every so often use it to make fat balls for the birds:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure