Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• Pauleb80
    Pauleb80 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm on a TV deal with Sky that I'm happy with (60% off and rolling contract). My broadband is with BT and that deal is coming to an end. I called Sky today to see what they could offer me to switch my broadband and the best they could do was £30 (unlimited fibre) which is the same as what BT are offering so no point switching. That said paying £70 for my TV and broadband is too much so I need to do something. 2 questions therefore: (i) has anyone seen a better Sky deal for unlimited fibre? (ii) I'm thinking of threatening to cancel the TV to see if that will magically produce a better broadband deal from Sky, does anyone have experience of that? Thanks.
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    I think it really depends on the agent on the other end. Just resubbed on exactly the same deal as you - 60% off box sets with cinema, £25 credit - and all gone through absolutely fine. Also on a rolling contract.

Seems YMMV when it comes to who you talk to, but hope you get sorted in any case.

Hello

Did you ring Sky or did Sky ring you?
    How many weeks into cancellation?

Regards
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Pauleb80 wrote: »
    (i) has anyone seen a better Sky deal for unlimited fibre? (ii) I'm thinking of threatening to cancel the TV to see if that will magically produce a better broadband deal from Sky, does anyone have experience of that? Thanks.

Sky's best deals peaked just before I was able to consider applying. For instance my sister got ADSL and anytime calls for £20.50/month (Phone/ADSL part was £15),but the base price then went up to £18 ,also requiring that you upgraded or renewed your tv. I didn't get to test haggling a price with altering the tv, as I got tired of the phone queue so made a deal with PlusNet.

You can't threaten Sky, as they are well aware that a lot of people say they are leaving just to be given a better offer and actually have no intention; hence some have no offer or a very poor one.

Most good deals are after you cancel and go through with it, but I'm under no illusion that they will repeat mine from last year, but genuinely intend to stay away if not bribed enough.
  • Anyone getting anything better than 40% off tv package?

Cancelled a month or so, received a 40% off mailshot so far, nothing else...

Giving consideration to switching to BT to get recording functionality back and being able to pause live tv
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Money_Man wrote: »
    Anyone getting anything better than 40% off tv package?

Giving consideration to switching to BT to get recording functionality back and being able to pause live tv

I got 40% for my Sky Q tv package (just the basic tv), had boxsets deal last year so I just went with this since its on 31 day rolling contract. I will try get a better deal again on Black Friday, I assume they will have new/existing customer deals then
  • Futuristic wrote: »
    I got 40% for my Sky Q tv package (just the basic tv), had boxsets deal last year so I just went with this since its on 31 day rolling contract. I will try get a better deal again on Black Friday, I assume they will have new/existing customer deals then

Ok, thanks for the response, I need sports too so will look out for the Black Friday deals...
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Money_Man wrote: »
    Anyone getting anything better than 40% off tv package?

I have posted in the Retentions thread about this.
    I was offered 40% without asking but they would not go any higher or offer credit. There is a 50% off link on Sky website but a few people have had trouble getting this offer as Sky say it's finished or not for them.
    As for Black Friday deals were they any good last year or were the deals just small discounts?
    I don't recall if they did any deals last year.
  • Boohoo wrote: »
    I have posted in the Retentions thread about this.
    I was offered 40% without asking but they would not go any higher or offer credit. There is a 50% off link on Sky website but a few people have had trouble getting this offer as Sky say it's finished or not for them.
    As for Black Friday deals were they any good last year or were the deals just small discounts?
    I don't recall if they did any deals last year.

Thanks, never realised there was another thread, will check it out now
  • Hi,

Just thought I'd post my annual haggle with Sky. I do this via the live chat every year as its easier to do and if I don't have any success I can just close the conversation politely and go back in to get a adviser who will haggle. I always try to haggle the first time and then if they don't budge cancel my TV package all together. I then wait a day or so for the offer to come through on the Sky box and not on my web account as the offer seems to be greater through the box, or I see what other people have been getting and tell a white lie saying I've got x% offer off. Obviously nothing ridiculous because they'll know its not a true offer.

So on to this year. Renegotiated on 19/10/17. Was previously paying £75 in total for Sky HD+ with Sports, Sports HD, Box Sets package, Unlimited Broadband (cant get fibre in my area), Anytime Calls. I was happy to pay this price at the time.

I wanted Sky Q this year as I like what you can do with it. I now have Sky Q router (had the rubbish one before and said I had connectivity issues. I didn't, just wanted the better router) Sky Q 2TB box with one mini box, Sky Box sets, Unlimited Broadband, Anytime call for £65 a month in total. 12 months offer, 18 month Sky Q contract, will obviously cancel or renegotiate at the end of the offer. I didn't pay anything for equipment or install.

In my area I could get exactly the same broadband and talk package with John Lewis for £25 with a 12 month contract. Sky were going to charge me £37 for the exact same thing. Sent the link for John Lewis on the chat. Initially said nothing they can do. I point out that new customers get £50 Mastercard credit. They gave me £50 credit and discounted my packge to £25.60. I was happy with that as near enough the same as John Lewis.

I wanted Sky Q but had read you had to pay for install and equipment. I also knew that because I wanted the latest stuff I would probably have to downgrade my package. I mentioned that I've been with Sky for a long time and that I am a platinum member on the Sky rewards app. I also kept mentioning new customers don't pay for new equipment. In the end I removed my sports package as I don't use that very much, and can go to the pub to watch it for a year. I'm happy with the deal I got and will keep doing the same thing every year. Worst case scenario is to leave Sky all together and join with my partner or sons name. I know technically this is not allowed but have done this in the past with no issues. Just use a different card to pay with.

My tips would be to be polite and persevere. If you don't get what your happy with keep trying with another adviser till you do. I end up telling them what I want and for how much and leave it up to them. Use the threat of Netflix etc.

I now want 2 more mini Sky Q boxes and want to know if anyone has avoided paying the £99 fee. I'm trying to get it without paying as I don't see why I should pay £99 for something I don't technically own. Installation is plug in and press the WPS button.

I had my Q setup today. Everything works fine. I got the engineer to make sure the signal was fine in the other 2 rooms. So I can install it on my own.

Thanks for any replies in advance
  • hedgwedgy wrote: »

There's no point in posting the same thing in 2 separate threads.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback