PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with situation

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that the local council removed bees nest (but not wasps). At least that's what my local council told me because of bees being protected.

Surely your son can make a few phone calls, or is it a case that expects anyone else to deal with his problem?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Don't spray them with water as that antagonises them
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I thought that the local council removed bees nest (but not wasps). At least that's what my local council told me because of bees being protected.

Surely your son can make a few phone calls, or is it a case that expects anyone else to deal with his problem?

My local councils don't touch bees, only wasps. Wasps come under pest control, bees don't. My council would charge.

Even if housing association properties the resident would be liable to pay. Housing association doesn't mean they pay for everything for you. My council do pest control discounts for benefit claimants of 50% but you still have to pay. But anyway, my council wouldnt remove bees.

The national beekeepers association will be of help, but again, with them not being honey bees they will most likely be a charge.

But the charge will be worth being free of a dangerous situation.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

I feel they are in a dangerous situation and would ask the question who is responsible for the removal of these nests..
    Any advice please..

As you can see from responses, just because you feel they may be in a dangerous situation doesn't mean that others will agree. If the HA don't think it's particularly serious, then it will be down to your son to act.

If these aren't honey bees, then they are some kind of wild bee which probably won't interest beekeepers much, nor will anyone be able to take them away anyway if they're if they're inside a wall cavity. The only option will be destruction via pesticides, for which someone will likely charge.

Wild bees are all many of us have left; honey bees having been severely affected by disease, and possibly chemicals too. Without them, and other similar insects, our agriculture would be stuffed.

These bees aren't aggressive and don't cause any problems on my property, where there are probably several dozen nests, mostly in the ground and hedge banks. I don't expect you to share my enthusiasm for them, but I want you to consider whether your son's worries and your post might represent a slight overreaction to something unfamiliar.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    How would removing a wild bees nest 'protect' them? Bees can only be successfully relocated if there's a Queen with the swarm, and wild bees in holes, whether in buildings, trees or the ground, are pretty hard to get at.

It's completely different from trapping a swarm that's not in a settled location.

I had a badger 'remove' one nest in my orchard the other night. The remaining bees were still buzzing around somewhat forlornly. It was sad, and probably a bit early for useful amounts of honey.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    If they are nesting in the wall there is also a possibility they are mason bees.
    In that case they will attack and sting unless you greet them with the appropriate secret antennae/hand-shake......
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    In that case they will attack and sting unless you greet them with the appropriate secret antennae/hand-shake......

:rotfl:..............
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a bees nest in the porch, and have had for the last 5 years. We also have a baby (he was a young baby last year).

We haven't done anything about it and have had no issues. They occasionally get in to the house but if they do, we just help them back out. We can't have the front windows open more than a crack, but honestly, how frequently do the windows need to be wide open?

We've never been stung or bothered by them. They are sorely needed for the preservation of the planet!
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a small nest of wild bees under our kitchen floor most years. Go in and out via the air brick and cause no bother to us at all.

Also, our choice of plants/flowers aims to attract more bees to our garden.

Like most, I find your reaction to a completely benign situation a little puzzling.

Hopefully your family can get used to just walking past and ignoring them.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local councils don't touch bees, only wasps. Wasps come under pest control, bees don't. My council would charge.
    That's interesting. They didn't go into detail of what they would do with the bees Dave, they just said that because they are protected, they get involved when there is a report of a bee nest.

They said they don't deal with wasp because as stated above, it's a matter of pest control and therefore for occupants to pay for the matter to be dealt with. They didn't even arrange, just gave names of who to call!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure