Basic life insurance (assurance?)

Hi, I've recently retired and am looking for some insurance to pay a lump sum in the (hopefully unlikely) event of my death. While I was employed, my death would have meant a decent payout to my wife/widow based on my salary, so I haven't given insurance much thought until now.
I'm 62 next week, in good health and physically fit. Don't drink much and gave up smoking 23 gears ago.
We own our own home with no mortgage and have no dependents now. My wife has her own state pension now and also a small pension from work. We have savings of around £50k.
So the insurance payout would be purely to pay for my funeral and leave a lump sum for my widow. I'm more than happy to have a medical if that would reduce any premiums.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
  • rhylbloke
    rhylbloke Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, thanks. I read that but just wondered if what I was looking for was as straightforward as I assumed it should be.
    I did a search for over 50's life insurance and came up with some quotes for a £50k payout over 20 years for a premium of around £33 to £37. Not sure if that's good, poor or average.
    :o
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Did you use one of the MSE recommended discount brokers for that quote?

(Specific over 50 policies are not normally the cheapest)
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I would definitely do your sums, as I know quite a few people (including me) reckon it is just better to save the money.
    Issues:
    Of course interest rates are poor at the moment, but a deal where you agree to 'only 1 withdrawal a year' might suit you, or one of those 'regular savers'.
    And, should you die early, you might not have saved enough - but you have 'fallback' savings.
    Possible advantage round the issue of care home fees, but this is complex anyway and quite liable to change.
    Also possible advantage around Inheritance Tax, that I don't really know about (I'm under the threshold)
    You are in control and can draw out for whatever reason suits you, this may be an issue in 'future proofing' your home or moving to one more suitable if either of you develop disabilities.
    Doing sums may mean considering whose name your savings / assets are in, the kind of tenancy you have with your home etc.
    Age UK have quite good information - but beware as they also promote their insurance!
  • Rhylbloke, as you say you are in good health, then I'd recommend you speak with a broker and secure an underwritten life policy as the premium rates will be significantly lower than the "over 50's" plan where there is no risk assessment of the individual. The adviser will be able to discuss the level of cover that might be suitable, and the basis of the premiums - for example, some will be reviewable (and hence will increase significantly the older you get) and others are guaranteed (higher initially but provides some certainty going forward).
    Good luck.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another take on this - if you have £50k savings do you ACTUALLY need any life cover?
    (No mortgage, no commitments?)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rhylbloke wrote: »
    Hi, thanks. I read that but just wondered if what I was looking for was as straightforward as I assumed it should be.
    I did a search for over 50's life insurance and came up with some quotes for a £50k payout over 20 years for a premium of around £33 to £37. Not sure if that's good, poor or average.
    :o

Over 50s life insurance are an option of last resort. If you are in good enough health, then proper life assurance is usually a much better value for money option.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure