Aren't Bicycles Great.

Options

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    So if you are cycling down flights of stairs that are not on a road or cyclepath, how is that legal?

Private land with permission from the stair/s owner.
    rdr wrote: »
    There's this one

That looks like it would be a good set to practice cycling up with.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    So if you are cycling down flights of stairs that are not on a road or cyclepath, how is that legal?

Does something have to be legal to be fun?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • brat
    edited 28 January 2015 at 8:45PM
    Options
    If anyone fancies a midweek cafe ride anytime anywhere in the NW, let me know, I'm always up for 60 to 100 miles leisurely or tempo!
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    If anyone fancies a midweek cafe ride anytime anywhere in the NW, let me know, I'm always up for 60 to 100 miles leisurely or tempo!

The cost/logistics getting to the NW could be difficult, that distance is now beyond me, I think I could probably manage a coffee. :-)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how much pollution bicycles cause when they force motorists to drive at 20 mph in third gear.

I usually try to ride in the middle of the road if there's a car behind me. Not usually as fast as 20mph, though, unless it makes overtaking more difficult.

The funny thing is, you might think that it's causing extra pollution, but the conflict between motorists and cyclists has become so great, that many motorists just don't feel safe on the roads any more. Living in fear of two-wheeled terrorists is too much for many of the more feeble-minded drivers.

So as a result of me generally getting in the way of vehicles and making driving as unpleasant as possible, many motorists will change their behaviour and get a bicycle instead. In fact, I know two people who overtook a cyclist once, and they're so traumatised by the experience that they bought unicycles instead as getting close to a bicycle again was just too harrowing for them.

Sure, cars can be fun if you drive off-road, but they're not going to save the world. And when the vast majority of drivers habitually break the law (show me a driver who doesn't speed and I'll show you a liar), it's hard to have any sympathy for them. They bring it on themselves. Will they never learn?

I pay my council tax to repair the roads, and people have the audacity to drive big heavy cars and cause untold damage. If motorists want to be able to drive they should build their own tracks and keep off the public roads. And when they see me coming on my bike, they should pull over, stop their vehicle and make sure I can get past safely. Quite simply, these car peasants don't know their place in the rightful order of things.

(Meanwhile, back in the real world...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wouldn't want to PUSH my bike 100 yards to the end of my road in this wind, never mind ride the thing!

Not many cyclists push their bike either...

Much easier to cycle it as is faster than walking :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    the highest tarmacked road in the UK, up to Great Dun Fell

I always had a hankering to do that, but never got round to it.

My last tour in 2011 went past the bottom twice, but I didn't risk it for the same reason I never had before: I didn't want to bust a gut and then have to cut my tour short and go home. On the way out I'd already done 550 miles by the time I got there, and on the way back I passed it at about the 800 mile mark, with another 600 miles still to go.

Several times I contemplated getting a train up north so that I could ride the hills without the fatigue of having cycled hundreds of miles just to get there, but taking the bike on the train always felt a bit like cheating.
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    I'm still in my early thirties and have a long way to go fitness wise before i could dream of doing cycles like that.

I'm only going out once a week roughly just now (sometimes even less) and my limit's around 40 miles just now on my hybrid.
    It's snowing here today though so going to take the mountain bike up the park and pull some wheelspins.
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    Bought a track pump today and figured out why i've been struggling with my average speeds recently on the hybrid. Max pressure is 120psi on the tyres and i'd been running about with them both at 20psi. Oops.

I imagine my next cycle will be a lot easier.
  • brat
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I always had a hankering to do that, but never got round to it.

My last tour in 2011 went past the bottom twice, but I didn't risk it for the same reason I never had before: I didn't want to bust a gut and then have to cut my tour short and go home. On the way out I'd already done 550 miles by the time I got there, and on the way back I passed it at about the 800 mile mark, with another 600 miles still to go.

Several times I contemplated getting a train up north so that I could ride the hills without the fatigue of having cycled hundreds of miles just to get there, but taking the bike on the train always felt a bit like cheating.

I did Great Dun Fell last June in the middle of a hilly ton, taking in Shap and Kirkstone passes too. Like all Cumbrian/Pennine fells it has a variable gradient averaging 8.4%.
    My avatar is a photo from the top of Buttertubs on a sportive the week after the TDF climbed it. It was surreal reading all the road paint through sweat dripping into my eyes.
    Doesn't get better than that! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure