We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Patio Ideas

Rummer
Rummer Posts: 6,550
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Hello

We have a reasonably ugly patio at the back of our house that I would like to make into a relaxing oasis :D

It is a concreted rectangle running along the full width of the house and then it becomes slabs for a meter or so before a step down to the rest of the garden. Sadly we can't afford to change the concrete or the slabs which make it appear grey and drab. However we are going to paint the back of the house to lighten it (the house is grey too!)

We want to add pots, furniture and other bits and pieces to make it look better but everything we have tried to date just looks a bit rubbish :o

Good ideas and pictures would be fabulous to help us make it a nicer place to be :)
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Comments

• Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,069
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You could try something like this to hide the concrete as a starting point

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Flooring-Artificial-Grass-Carpet-Green-Blue-Cheap-Rolls-2-4-Wide-/161050765872
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Grey concrete and flags seems to be a wonderful and pretty cheap way to entertain a little one with a packet of chalk in the next few years rummer, :). Drawing round each other, doing pictures, and even working out letters, numbers. :). It will certainly look brighter too! And it all washes a way in the rain.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you for the suggestions :)

We are not lacking in concrete so plenty of places for Rumlet to draw and water paint. I used to love drawing in chalk on the pavement when I was wee and I am sure he will love it too!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2014 at 7:36PM
    One trick I found is that anything that looks like a face really catches the eye and can detract for drab/incomplete planting. I have this Moai (£20 from Homebase) and it really made a difference to a 'problem area'

20140706_174540867_ios.jpg?w=500&h=337

Can you remove just 2 or 3 of the slabs and the hardcore and put in some gritty soil and plant ground-cover/creeping plants to give some relief from all concrete? I'm thinking houseleeks, sedum, thyme, chamomile, Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' etc.

backyard-retreat-pellettieri-associates_2053.jpg
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    report the spam
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My patio is horrible concrete and I've never been able to afford to replace it in the 21years I've been here! Drawing the eye upwards helps. Hanging baskets, an arch, raised pots etc distract from the grotty paving. Buy the biggest containers you can, or at least group them together. Sweet peas grown up canes in an old chimney pot have been effective this year. Pinterest is good for ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure