Need not Want.

Comments

• 365days Sorry to hear about your mum! What a stress-pot of a week! Hope your Mum feels better soon, and your street quietens down.

I've spent a little more at the weekend than I meant to. Everything was needed, but not exactly needed right now. Now the only thing I need, is to spend as little as I can for the next 2 weeks.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Piddly lost post.....pah

I think it's really important for us all to 'fess up to our overspends. It will help us see where our weak spots are. I'm a scruff so clothes,shoes etc hold little danger for me but show me house/garden stuff and I'm putty in their hands! Everyone has their own downfall (stationary anyone!;)) and it may help to pinpoint what yours is. People may not understand how I spend money on tobacco (or this last week cigarettes) likewise I buy my joggers in asda and can't understand why anyone else wouldn't.

The Needs in life are actually very, very minimal. We just have to curb those wants, whatever our personal wants may be!

(is this time to confess I was luckily outbid on a silver bangle on ebay!)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 365 days - I like your thinking and I don't think that's a bad way to start the new year The only other suggestion I would make is don't deprive yourself too much you need a few treats and rewards to help you along the way, but I'd advise just setting goals and when you reach those goals - whether they be debt reduction or saving goals, then give yourself a little reward..... :)
    :jI Love Saving Money & My Passion Is Writing Money Saving Guides For Dummies (like me)
    :TMy motto: Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    well ive bought new leggings old ones r holey will be stitched and become the dog walking ones .need to declutter .have 95 of amazon vouchers but my need not want means they r still there scary .my weakness is days out with kids and reduced clthes in asda .
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    elly68 wrote: »
    well ive bought new leggings old ones r holey will be stitched and become the dog walking ones .need to declutter .have 95 of amazon vouchers but my need not want means they r still there scary .my weakness is days out with kids and reduced clthes in asda .

I've got a bit of a stash of amazon vouchers too. I am going to use them to buy birthday/christmas presents. Something I heard once about sale clothes. WOuld you consider buying it if it was full price? If not, then you don't really want it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Hope your week is getting better 365. Well I had some food in my grandparents freezer from when I had a power cut a few months ago, and quite a bit of it was meat and fish so going to defrost some for cat and dogs.
    Not feeling great today and think I may be coming down with something which I hope not as have loads to do around the house and for work.
    Now off to get all the ironing done as I dried a load in front of log burner last night, then give the kitchen a tidy and hoover before off to work.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • I've been using meal plans and then creating a shopping list for the grocery shop. Daddy Rivett pays for the shopping but I have to say I've managed to get a weekly shop which he usually does from an average of £85 per week to £46 per week. He is very impressed and we now know what we are having for dinner so there is less stress when I get in from work.
    • MSE Forum Achievements:
    • Debt-free & Proud - December 2014
    • Fully Funded 12 Month Emergency Fund - December 2020
    • Current Challenges: No Spend Challenge 2023
    • January NSD: 16/25
  • 365days wrote: »
    I've got a bit of a stash of amazon vouchers too. I am going to use them to buy birthday/christmas presents. Something I heard once about sale clothes. WOuld you consider buying it if it was full price? If not, then you don't really want it.

I dunno, I think I'm stuck in a time loop 10 years ago. I keep looking at clothes and thinking that it's far too expensive, so a lot of things I would only buy if they brought the price down.... But I agree it's good to identify your hazard areas.

I think I have many; clothes, shoes, dvds, toiletries I never use, food. I'm part of the grocery challenge to tackle my food budget, I've banned toiletries unless I need them, and I'm working on getting better quality shoes and clothes so I don't need to keep buying so many.
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Well slipped a bit today but not massively.

Popped into Primarni to buy a present (for me, friend gave me the money to get it.) Been trying not to turn the heating on too early and put a jumper on but noticed I have very few. Brought one in there today reduced to £3 and think in the long run, if it stops me putting the heating on too early, or the log burner than it will save me more than £3. Then purchased myself a couple of knickers for 50p each as the dog decided to take a couple of mine to the garden and put them in a hole I found out yesterday. Total spend was £4.
    Then went to get two pieces of felt in order to make a baby present rather than buy one. Whole baby present shall cost me £2.50 in materials but similar ones selling online at £15 so happy with that saving.
    Had to get some cat food, doggy poop bags (brough Tesco nappy sacks 12p for 100 as advised on here) and peanut butter to fill their empty bones which is cheap at 60p which fills at least 8 bones compared to buying them at pet supermarkets for £1 each.
    brought some MR T value lemonade at 17p again advised by this website.
    So even though was a spend day it was not alot and I am really proud of myself of the way I am shopping and buying value items.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • Still doing ok.
    Apart from some food this week I bought a birthday present & card for my friend. Saw what I wanted on ebay & then found the same in a local shop for £1.00 cheaper & no waiting in for the postman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure