Early Tax Credit Payment

Hi,

My child and working tax credit payment was due into my account on Tuesday 13th July 2010, however was paid in today (12th July) for some reason. Can anyone help me understand. I tried calling but cant get through to helpline. I Understand there was a bank holiday in N Ireland today, and that people whos payments were sure today were paid Friday - however mine was only due tomorrow. Please help, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Is this causing a problem for you in some way? *shruggy*
  • jred
    jred Posts: 2 Newbie
    I just worry that this will cause a problem/delay with my following payment ?
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Was it for the proper amount of your award? Or was it a make up payment after your renewal and therefore your regular payment will be in tomorrow? Other than that, if it's your regular payment, enjoy the fact it was early I guess - certainly nothing to worry about?
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Hello. Yes I too spoke with the Tax Credit Helpline and was told due to a holiday in NI, payments were made early for every one. Those due today actually credited on Friday. They say that everyone in the UK if affected by this. I did ask why, when it's a bank holiday in Scotland, are the payments not sent early for those in Scotland or anywhere else. Neither are they sent early when it's a national holiday in Wales.

She was not sure. The operator was Scottish as well. They have strange, not well published methods at Tax Credits it seems. They seems to send payments when it suits them. Also, the payment for next week will be paid on it's usual day.

Hope that helps...... :o
  • divastrop
    divastrop Posts: 330 Forumite
    I have always got my CTC on the Monday rather than the Tuesday when it's a bank holiday in NI. I asked why a couple of years ago and they didn't know then, either. It has never affected subsequent payments, though.
    'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'-John Lennon

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.” -Dom Helder Câmara
  • I got paid early on Friday for my Tax Credits on Tuesday which was fine as I live in NI and knew it was a Bank Holiday. I was only entitled to my CTC as my work has ended. Got a letter yesterday to say that WFTC owed me 291.00 and the payment was in the account. Went to Post Office and yes there was a payment in but it was another payment of CTC and nowhere near the 291.00 for a final settlement of WFTC! Tried to phone Tax Credits and finally got through to be told that yes it was a CTC payment and no they didn't know where the 291.00 had gone!! The gentleman on the phone was very nice but didn't seem to grasp that I had already been paid CTC early in lieu of Bank Holiday. Has anyone else had this and does it mean that I won't get paid next week?
  • emiai
    emiai Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I was paid early too, Monday instead of Tuesday this week. I wouldn't worry too much unless your payments stop.
    Wishing you all good luck!
    Oldstyle moneysaving addict
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Payments over bank holidays

From time to time, your normal payment day may fall on the same day as a bank holiday. This will often be a Monday, but not always. When this happens, you'll get your payment on the last working day before the bank holiday. So if the bank holiday is on a Monday, you'll get your payment on the Friday before.
    This happens for all tax credits payments across the whole of the UK, even if a bank holiday only applies in one part of the UK. For example, Monday 12 July 2010 is only a bank holiday in Northern Ireland. All tax credits customers in the UK who are usually paid on a Monday will get their payment on Friday 9 July 2010.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Actually Monday and Tuesday were Bank Holidays here in NI, no banks or PO open! I got my payment for Tuesday 13th on Friday 9th so shouldn't have been due any more money until Tuesday 20th. Yesterday however, there was a Tax Credit payment in my bank for my weekly amount! I'm wondering what will happen next week, will I get paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure