Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Comments

• Just adding weight to this thread to state that I too have received spam on an email that has only been shared with Santander.

I feel that in all probability it is Santander's actions that have caused this. I have 692 of these separate emails, and only 'santander' has the problem today, it rarely happens, but when it does it coincides with a flurry of similar reports. The last one was adobe.

My comment to Santander is, if I can't trust you to keep my email address private, how can I trust you with anything else, let alone my money.

BR/ wd
  • MrA2012
    MrA2012 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Add me to the list of people suspecting Santander of leaking emails. Like others in this thread, I have a catch-all domain and use unique email addresses for every company I deal with. I set up an address specifically for Santander, have only ever given it to Santander and have never used it to send an email. Today it received the fake FedEx shipping confirmation/verify your identity scam.
  • Following up my previous contributions to this thread, I've had a phone call from Santander - yes, I did "put him through security". He said it was being investigated, and admitted I wasn't the only "victim". He then offered £50, which he confirmed in a letter. They just don't get it though, as they advised me to "change (your) email address as soon as possible".

Should I have asked for more? There are three other family members in the same position...

I'm surprised this hasn't had more press coverage, as it's far more serious than the usual scattergun phishing emails.

Kevin
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had this spam as well although surprised they havent pretended to be Santander, so far I think just Skype and Royal Mail. The only time I ever used this email was in an office at Alliance & Leicester (now Santander) when opening an account.
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    autolycus wrote: »
    Following up my previous contributions to this thread, I've had a phone call from Santander - yes, I did "put him through security". He said it was being investigated, and admitted I wasn't the only "victim". He then offered £50, which he confirmed in a letter. They just don't get it though, as they advised me to "change (your) email address as soon as possible".

I'm still waiting for my complaint to get a response, but will update if/when I get it - already said that i'll escalate if they don't reply within their 8 week period so it is a date in the diary :)

Fundamentally it's more than the spam and the hassle of changing email address - which, by they way, doesn't work perfectly, I still get 3Dsecure messages to the old one not the new one. I'm annoyed that (a) I don't know what they've leaked, is it just the email address or other personal information too, and (b) they clearly know that it has happened but they've made no effort to tell customers
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • block10
    block10 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2013 at 10:14PM
  • block10 wrote: »

Yes but that articles only source of information is this thread it even refers to this thread.
  • block10
    block10 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes but that articles only source of information is this thread it even refers to this thread.

NO it also refers to several Reg readers - Paul & Andrew. And it does link to this thread to offer further proof.

A statement from Santander confirms that they are investigating a potential breach.
  • quaybab
    quaybab Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It appears £150 is the maximum you can squeeze out of Santander for (not) losing an email address. They admit no liability but coughed for taking too long to deal with the complaint (less than 2 weeks, they have 8 weeks), inconvenience and for the stock response blaming the customer.
    I suspect they have lost mail server log files and not banking data but we'll see.
    It is not random attack based on variants of an email address as The Register article say as I've not had multiple attempts at similar aliases.
    This one won't be going to the ICO but they’'ve lost 5 others out of about a dozen given to them so I'll see how I get on with them.
    Santander patently know there is a problems but can't be bothered contacting the affected customers (due to the obvious cost!). Santander aren’t investigating anything.
    There is a remote change the FOS have leaked it as half of the 'infected' ones have been disclosed to them but I doubt it - although with their underhand banker club tactics, you never know.
    BOFH
  • block10 wrote: »
    NO it also refers to several Reg readers - Paul & Andrew. And it does link to this thread to offer further proof.

A statement from Santander confirms that they are investigating a potential breach.

It just seems funny it's only that and this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if one of thems the op & the other is also someone on this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure