Ask a CCCS counsellor a question

Options

Comments

• louloujs
    louloujs Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, but I have a cheque book! I'm self-employed and there are a few accounts that I have to pay by cheque. It's such a nightmare!
    Lou
  • CCCS_Sarah
    CCCS_Sarah Posts: 1,555 Organisation Representative
    Options
    andreweduk wrote: »
    Filled in the Debt Remedy online and have had my welcome letter and letter to copy and send to creditors, not returned the things to CCCS yet as am waiting for a statement to come through :)

Will PM you the Debt Remedy number now and they will let you know your details.

Happy Budgeting!!!
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • pepe2008
    pepe2008 Posts: 5,158 Forumite
    Options
    Why are all the CCCS Counsellors such lovely people?

Pepe:happyhear
    :D:D stay wonky :D:D

....one-way ticket to Portugal booked !
  • CCCS_Sarah
    Options
    pepe2008 wrote: »

:o Thank you
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • scattytracy
    Options
    CCCS_Sarah wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,

It would be really hard to say via the forums as I don’t have your full details.

There are a couple of different factors for you to take into account when you are considering bankruptcy.

The first thing would be to let the dust settle and take a step back to look at the whole picture to consider the following points.
    • What would your budget look like once you’re in rented accommodation i.e. how much surplus is there to offer the creditors?
    • How long would it take you to clear the debts with this surplus – including any shortfall from the house?
    • What line of work are you looking to return to?
    • What income would you be on then?
    From the information you have given, it does seem that you are struggling with your DMP so I would advise you call Payplan and ask for a review. This may mean, if there is not enough surplus to pay you creditors, they may close your plan. If they do this, you would just need to make token payments until your situation improves.

Let me know how you get on with your review and give me a shout if you need any help with anything.

Hi Sarah

thanks for replying. We had a review with payplan last week, it was useless. I asked about the shortfall on the house, what happens to that she said she knew nothing about that. She said we will be allowed to pay our mortgage arrears over the term of the mortgage, which I know from reading on here is utter rubbish. We are with Kensington Mortgages (spit) who have been absolute (insert applicable swear word here). they said we can have no longer to pay than 10 months and then put the interest rate up again.
    The DMP we were on is going to take 27 years to clear! Our new budget would have a surplus of about 100 so would take around 50 years to clear. I was put on anti depressants yesterday because of all this. I work in accounts but am not registered in any particular body. I am looking for something part time as working full time with 4 kids and a disabled mother was killing me.
    :jFresh start granted 12/02/2010:j
  • CCCS_Sarah
    Options
    Hi Sarah

thanks for replying. We had a review with payplan last week, it was useless. I asked about the shortfall on the house, what happens to that she said she knew nothing about that. She said we will be allowed to pay our mortgage arrears over the term of the mortgage, which I know from reading on here is utter rubbish. We are with Kensington Mortgages (spit) who have been absolute (insert applicable swear word here). they said we can have no longer to pay than 10 months and then put the interest rate up again.
    The DMP we were on is going to take 27 years to clear! Our new budget would have a surplus of about 100 so would take around 50 years to clear. I was put on anti depressants yesterday because of all this. I work in accounts but am not registered in any particular body. I am looking for something part time as working full time with 4 kids and a disabled mother was killing me.

How do you feel about staying in the house?

If you were able to put forward a defence to stay in the house would you want to or would you want to make it an opportunity for a fresh start?

• andreweduk
    Options
    pepe2008 wrote: »

I know :) How nice it is to have someone who's on YOUR side money-wise!
    Twitter: @haddockman83
  • skintandscared_2
    Options
    Can I just say first, what a FANTASTIC thread. I am about to embark on a DMP with CCCS (1 Dec start) and CCCS have given me my first proper nights' sleep in a very long time, just because I know I'm facing things and dealing with them at last!!!

Anyway, a very quick couple of questions....

1. I have opened a new bank account and transferred my salary payments and all essential direct debits. I have the forms ready to send to all my creditors on 29 October with my £1 postal orders (I don't want to give them my new bank details, even though I have a chequebook). One of my creditors will be my old bank (Abbey) who I have a £2,400 overdraft with. They are obviously not yet aware that they won't be getting my usual salary payment. Do they just "become" a creditor when I send them my form and token payment towards my overdraft? I am pretty much up to my limit and if they impose one charge for being overdrawn I will go over my limit. I may then start getting daily charges! Should I pay in enough now to cover a couple of months' worth of their standard monthly charge, just in case?

2. All my credit cards expect payments around the 1st-6th of the month. They will receive my £1 postal order by around 1st November. As I start my DMP on 1st December, should I send them another £1 payment at the end of November, assuming that they won't get anything from CCCS until late in December (especially with Christmas)? I know £1 isn't much, but it shows willing!

Many thanks.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • CCCS_Sarah
    Options
    Can I just say first, what a FANTASTIC thread. I am about to embark on a DMP with CCCS (1 Dec start) and CCCS have given me my first proper nights' sleep in a very long time, just because I know I'm facing things and dealing with them at last!!!

Anyway, a very quick couple of questions....

1. I have opened a new bank account and transferred my salary payments and all essential direct debits. I have the forms ready to send to all my creditors on 29 October with my £1 postal orders (I don't want to give them my new bank details, even though I have a chequebook). One of my creditors will be my old bank (Abbey) who I have a £2,400 overdraft with. They are obviously not yet aware that they won't be getting my usual salary payment. Do they just "become" a creditor when I send them my form and token payment towards my overdraft? I am pretty much up to my limit and if they impose one charge for being overdrawn I will go over my limit. I may then start getting daily charges! Should I pay in enough now to cover a couple of months' worth of their standard monthly charge, just in case?

2. All my credit cards expect payments around the 1st-6th of the month. They will receive my £1 postal order by around 1st November. As I start my DMP on 1st December, should I send them another £1 payment at the end of November, assuming that they won't get anything from CCCS until late in December (especially with Christmas)? I know £1 isn't much, but it shows willing!

Many thanks.

Hello,

Glad you feel better about your debts!

Your overdraft should be on your list of creditors, so no need to worry as they will have a reduced payment as part of your dmp. Initially you may receive some charges but these should settle down with your dmp is up and running.

No need to send another payment for December as we disperse the payments around the 24th of every month.

Good luck with your DMP, if you have any questions at all we are just the other end of the phone! Or feel free to PM me at any time.

Sarah

• skintandscared_2
    Options
    Many thanks Sarah.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure