What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 06/03

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• Morning :) 25 past 7 and I should already be getting ready :o Although in my defence (:A :rotfl:) I've made lunches for us all and got madam ready. Sun is shining today and I am full of the optimism of spring :D

Also checked banks & received £40 from ms assignments in Jan :D

To do:

* hang washing outside :)
    * wash hair and dry naturally while getting ready
    * saved 50p MOC from receipt for next time we need groceries ;)
    * print off 3 x price guarantees = £5.00 free shopping ;)
    * make up some ss milk and have porridge before work
    * dig out some seed trays to do some sowing tonight :j
    * dinner will be something simple
    * debating whether to buy a *all season* set of raspberry 9 canes. £19.99 - would you Dawn & Foxgloves? Might delay it so as to get a NSD making 3 in a row :D
    * update expenses for Friday

Ok that's me. We have a meeting tonight but need to decide who is going as no babysitter. Happy Monday guys!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • I was too keen this morning, posting on old thread. Reposting here to remind myself what I said I'd do...

CLF, I agree with CM - can you find a way to buy her something she needs?

Angelpye we are near the sea, but a short drive rather than a walk, and I love it. Would love to be even nearer but can't cope with the idea of being even further away from connections to cities and family! Where we are is a good compromise, and we make it to the beach pretty much weekly in the summer.

I don't have much ms stuff on my list today:
    - leftovers for dinner
    - spend a little time knitting the socks I'm working on
    - do some more decluttering (this makes me feel so much calmer in my house, which makes me much less likely to order stuff to 'improve my home' I have noticed).
    - Check MySupermarket again to see whether I can knock another couple of quid off the food shopping
    - get the sourdough starter out of the fridge and start feeding it up again - we are going through so much bread at the moment! I made three 1lb loaves at the start of last week and they are almost gone.
    - make DH's lunch for work.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today
    TOPM - Hi, :wave:

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Today's little list

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Check out any freebies on COS that I can collect while I'm out and about -
    Dr's to change mums address and order her prescription -
    Post Office -
    Drop bag at charity shop -
    Appointment at 11 -
    Read meters & upload -
    Prep tomorrows tea for SC (as house will be in turmoil)
    Completely clear lounge ready for carpet fitting tomorrow -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read -

Am sure there's more to do but I can't remember :o unlike during the night when my head was swimming. Have a great day all!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 March 2017 at 12:24PM
    Morning all!

Sun shining here too!

Anglepye and TOP - we're very lucky where I live as we are near the sea, rivers and woods :)

The tea set - we are going to keep it. M-I-l wanted to buy her new wardrobes from Ikea, so perhaps I can buy an Ikea voucher? She can't really give me the money back then as I don't shop there. It would def be used and loved as well as on show :)

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. In fact everything is already cooked so easy night!
    • Hope that my yarn turns up :D - YAY!
    • No alcohol (9 day streak!)
    • Gym at lunchtime (shoulders and deadlift day. My butt is still non-existent from Friday though!)
    • Washing out on the line (hooray!)
    • Crochet
    • Free stretching video
    • Charge phone in work
    • Check for YS bargains on the way home
    • Collect tenner from my friend who owes me for the pizza the other night - done
    • Used epilator. Def a good buy. It cost about £30 but has completely negated the need to buy razors. Plus it encourages me to keep on top of depilatory efforts. Very important as am at the gym so much! - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning frugal lovelies :D There is something about sunshine that makes the world seem so different from the grey of yesterday :A

Today:

Some washing outside, even if its just on the airer
    Alter timer on heating so it doesn't come on in mornings anymore to save the hour of fuel
    Check banking, FPL, £co and surveys. Update my spreadsheet
    Relist some items on fleabay
    Food from stores, use cauli macaroni cheese for tea that I made yesterday (used less cheese and bacon and replaced with cream cheese instead to be a cheaper meal, lets see if anyone notices ;))
    Maybe bake something
    Put cover back on BBQ that Doris blew off. No BBQ is dry for the first time since
    DH to do some more work in girls room
    Move trampoline away from bush that has started to flower, flowers only last about 2 weeks and there are hundreds on there (pink look like roses but aren't - not sure what it's called) so want to make the most of it
    Investigate raspberry canes - thanks DNMS never thought about growing them - one of my favorites :A

DNMS what is this price match you talk of???

Hope it's sunny for you too :D
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

Sunshine here which always cheers me up!

Carrie - that sounds perfect! I love woods, especially in spring! I am a short drive from woodland walks but really don't do it often enough, usually bluebells, snow or really hot summer days (so can hide in the shade) motivate me.
    TOP - kids playing on the beach is the most magical thing isn't it? I grew up playing on beaches and swimming in the north sea and love watching DD :)

I joined in with the fly ladies/men last night as managed to get most of my house in order and want to get more routined and less firefighting. Today is main bedroom which is perfect as didn't get round to that...didnt manage DDs either - reminds me of the skittles advert only lego :eek::rotfl:

Today:
    *Washing just finished in machine so will peg out
    *Flylady - main bedroom
    *All meals from stores
    *Return a couple of things
    *Buy freezer bags to divide up meat delivered yesterday
    *Work,work,work

Happy Monday people, hope everyone had a good start to the week.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • angelpye
    DNMS - I keep thinking of raspberry canes as we go through a ton (3 tubs a week) in the summer. I have a south facing garden so thats got to be good for fruit? Any advice the green fingered ones amongst us would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment but could perhaps work something out.
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    DNMS raspberry canes fall into 2 categories, and that is important because you have to treat them differently. 'Summer'varieties fruit on the previous year's canes, which means that after fruiting, you must cut out the old canes (those that have fruited) and tie the new ones that have sprung up to supports - these will provide the raspberries next year.

'Autumn' ones just need the whole lot cutting down to the ground each year in the late autumn / winter after fruiting is finished. Their new canes will pop up in the spring and provide fruit the same year, and they don't need much in the way of support. I grow only the autumn ones as they are less bother and they fruit all summer and autumn anyway! The main problem with getting a mixture would be ensuring you know which are which so that you deal with them appropriately, or risk no raspberries :eek: So, if you do get them, separate out the varieties and plant them in different places, carefully labelled :)
  • angelpye
    DawnW, when you say all summer - from which month? Online it says July but in the long run I think I would like them a bit earlier.
    EF £0/£4200
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi kids,

Let me think:
    -cheap overnight oats
    -packed lunches
    -check new council tax bill looks ok
    -unsubscribe from tempting travel emails!
    -not out on lunch

Best get back to the grind :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family