Giblet's mortgage free journey

Comments

• I feel the exact same :o I know MFW'ers read due to the thanks I get, but when you don't get any replies, you (meaning, I) think - nobody wants to talk to me :think:_pale_ I must be boring, Boo hoo.

I do actually think (so I tell myself) it's due to so many good diaries being on here, it's hard to keep up with them all. (That's what I tell myself, anyway)

Have a great holiday and will hear from you when you get back :)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My husband's eyes just glaze over as soon as I start mentioning percentages and months saved! He was shocked to hear that if we keep OPing we'll be paid off in 9 years - he thought it was less!!! If it weren't for me it would be more like 20 years!

Have a brilliant relaxing holiday!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • amycool wrote: »
    My husband's eyes just glaze over as soon as I start mentioning percentages and months saved! He was shocked to hear that if we keep OPing we'll be paid off in 9 years - he thought it was less!!! If it weren't for me it would be more like 20 years!

Have a brilliant relaxing holiday!

:rotfl: When my BF comes over I start throwing/quoting figures and years to him. Doesn't seem impressed, but does say I have a lovely house :D Mental note to myself - don't mention it again, till its all p a i d. Of course, next time, can't help myself though, can I.:o
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • cat683
    cat683 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Giblet, I hope you have a lovely holiday! :)

My boyfriend is very good with money, ie he doesn't spend much, unless I ask him to ;)
    I still manage all the finances though, pay all the bills and overpay on our mortgage. It's best this way as I have lived on my own for a long time, and it's his first time being a grown-up away from the security of mum ;)
  • Hi.....I'm back :)
    Well what an amazing holiday. Had soooo much fun and although it was a real treat (i.e. certainly expensive by my tastes) we managed to keep mostly to our (generous) spends budget, and cut back where we could without affecting our experience. Also, OP'd just over £500 on my first day back as got an early pay packet (including accrued annual leave pay) from job 4 so sent the lot to the mortgage :)

In less good news, need to take the poorly cat to the vet again tomorrow due to ear problem, and they both need teeth out in 2 weeks, so even with good insurance, the excess is going to hurt! Plus I found out that I have to get my much needed dental work done privately (nowhere will do what I need under sedation) but do have a free consultation at a local practice thanks to the persuasiveness of my own dentist. When I get the quote, I'll decide whether to go ahead. It is causing me significant pain, and I can't be numbed enough to do the work without sedation; I need to save the tooth if possible for longer term 'eatability'. Bloody teeth :(
    I'm not yet feeling back in the land of the living. Don't feel jet lagged (although DH definitely is) but work was a bit of a shock today :) I love my job(s) but could certainly live a life of leisure without too much trouble.
    Hope everyone is doing well. I'm sure I've got a lot to catch up on, but must get a report done before tomorrow.....maybe just a sneak peak at a few diaries first......
    Gib xx
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• Have a look at your policy wording for your pet insurance. When we were first taking Skip to the vets they thought she had teeth reabsorption which was why she was off her food (she didn't but she still had her teeth cleaned) but when we checked our policy dental work wasn't covered. We're with Animal Friends and I don't know if this is the norm for most insurers or if it's just an exclusion from AF, but thought I'd give you a heads up.
    Glad you enjoyed your hollibob xx
  • Thanks mrsp - luckily we're with PetPlan and they've had to have teeth work done before and it was covered (glad we went with the more expensive but more comprehensive plan in this case as it's 'whole of life' even if the same problems reoccur year on year which they have for my poor babies... :( )

I found your diary earlier and was happily reading (up to page 7) before I was 'rudely interrupted' by the need to do some essential work for tomorrow. Have finished that now, so am going to try and read a bit more while catching up on GB Bakeoff xx

• Little exciting update.....

Mortgage balance as Jan 2016 - £132,198
    (interest of £2718 then applied)

Mortgage balance as Sept 2016 - £125,637

Would love it to be more, but happy with this as only really been seriously overpaying properly for just over 2mths (managed to keep payment the same when remortgaged at a lower rate approx 10mths ago)....

Need to find more pennies from somewhere...this is addictive! x

• 7K is awesome!! I've only knocked off about £4K and I've got a smaller balance than you. You're right though, it is addictive!
  • Welcome back from your lovely holiday :) it sounds like you had a great time! :)

Wow!! Well done on the 7k over 9 months!! Is that right?? :P I wish we could do that!!

I feel your pain with your teeth! I do hope you can get it sorted and pain free for less than an arm and a leg. I had to be put to sleep for my two wisdom teeth coming out (they had not broken through yet). It was an absolute nightmare! Hope yours will go better. Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure