What's the wet 'paint' on my damp cellar walls?

shortcrust
shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
The cellar in my Victoria terrace has a wall which is damp to the touch (really common round here). The brickwork has been painted but the white 'paint' is wet and sticky. It can be easily scraped off (or even sponged off!) and leaves a putty like substance that smells a bit mouldy. I think it's been there for years. Anyone know what it might be? Some attempt at damp proofing? Just paint?! I've got an urge to scrape the whole lot off as I've an inkling that the stuff is holding the moisture on the wall. Would exposed bricks be better? The brickwork is in reasonable condition considering. The cellar is fairly well ventilated and cardboard boxes stored down there from before I moved in don't seem to be suffering ill effects.

I might get the whole lot tanked at some point but that's for the future.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I paint mine with limewash. It is very permeable so doesn't hold in moisture. It can be sponged off like you describe.
  • shortcrust
    I paint mine with limewash. It is very permeable so doesn't hold in moisture. It can be sponged off like you describe.

I wondered about limewash but didn't think it would be a sticky layer. I suppose the fact that it feels wet means that it's allowing the moisture through.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It COULD be Soft Distemper on the walls, that would feel sticky/putty like if the damp is coming through
  • shortcrust
    London50 wrote: »
    It COULD be Soft Distemper on the walls, that would feel sticky/putty like if the damp is coming through

A quick google makes me think you might be right. I guess it's not going any harm but is there any advantage having it there rather than bare brick? It's a bit grotty!
  • London50
    shortcrust wrote: »
    A quick google makes me think you might be right. I guess it's not going any harm but is there any advantage having it there rather than bare brick? It's a bit grotty!

I would not think so, as long as you are happy with the look/feel after all it is just the same as decorating with modern materials and personal choice :)
  • shortcrust
    I would not think so, as long as you are happy with the look/feel after all it is just the same as decorating with modern materials and personal choice :)

I might scrape the lot off. I think damp bare brick is a step up from sticky dirty white brick!
  • London50
    I might scrape the lot off. I think damp bare brick is a step up from sticky dirty white brick!

I can understand how you feel, I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses the builders merchants I worked for back then sold large amounts weekly but times change along with tastes.
    As you say bare brick should look far better:)
  • shortcrust
    I can understand how you feel, I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses the builders merchants I worked for back then sold large amounts weekly but times change along with tastes.
    As you say bare brick should look far better:)

I think it might be a satisfying job too! I did a few bricks last night and now they feel much drier than the painted ones.

Thanks for the info.
  • London50
    I think it might be a satisfying job too! I did a few bricks last night and now they feel much drier than the painted ones.

Thanks for the info.

No problem, glad I could help :)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I remember back in 1940's/50's when distemper was the "new" must have product for the masses

Distemper (in one form or another) has been around since the Egyptian times... Hardly a "new" product. However, tastes change, and the old stuff has fallen out of fashion, only for it to creep back in. Natural paints and traditional colours are all the rage again (at inflated prices).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure