Interviewer went berserk on me

Options

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I can't see much difference between going for the practice and applying for several jobs at once in order to have a backup should you not get the job you want.

I know many leaving the Armed Forces start to apply for many jobs long before their exit date in the belief that by setting their sights high (no pun intended) they might just get offered a job they never expected to get.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are ways of withdrawing, though. Personally, if it wasn't for me, I'd leave it at the interview and if I never hear from them again, fine. If they call back to offer a job or second interview, I'd politely decline. To proactively contact a hiring manager immediately after an interview to say you're not interested is a bit foolish; you never know if you might cross paths with them or someone in their HR department again.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A couple of months ago I withdrew an application after a second interview. The interviews went reasonably well, but it became apparent that the job was slightly different to what I thought and wasn't the right fit.

The employer thanked for letting them know, as it saved them the time of needing to evaluate me against the other candidates, and wished me the best of luck in my search.

The employer you interviewed with sounds like a bad apple.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's absolutely a pain in the !!!! to interview someone who has no intention of taking the job.

However, he didn't know you had no intention of taking it. It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw after interview if you don't like what's on offer.
    The OP didn't like what was on offer, a decision reached during/after the interview. It happens a lot as you don't like the people, building, firm, location of the desk, and "feel" of the atmosphere.

That's what interviews are for.... see if you like them/what their offer is.
    So basically you wasted his time, and if he had known that, his reaction is more understandable. However as he didn't know that, then his reaction is unacceptable, from his perspective. You can't complain about it though because you have additional information that means that you know he had a point, even though he didn't know that. You are both in the wrong.

The OP didn't waste his time. An interview is a two way street: do we like you? do you like us? Do we wish to make an offer? Do you think the offer is worthy of your attention?

The hiring company is in the wrong entirely.
    NOT the OP.

The hiring owner was clearly a nutter and a bullet was dodged there.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    The OP didn't like what was on offer, a decision reached during/after the interview. It happens a lot as you don't like the people, building, firm, location of the desk, and "feel" of the atmosphere.

That's what interviews are for.... see if you like them/what their offer is.

The OP didn't waste his time. An interview is a two way street: do we like you? do you like us? Do we wish to make an offer? Do you think the offer is worthy of your attention?

The hiring company is in the wrong entirely.
    NOT the OP.

The hiring owner was clearly a nutter and a bullet was dodged there.

Which part of "It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw after interview if you don't like what's on offer." did you not understand?

You have quoted my post which makes the exact point you go on to preach at me and ignored the fact that the OP announced that s/he never had any intention of taking the job. Why have you done this?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    I was previously interviewing for an office junior job just to help improve my interviewing skills.

Moments later he called to interrogate me and shouted at me for wasting his time.

You did. You wasted his time and that of a person who may have wanted the job, needed it desperately and could have possibly got it but didn't even get a chance of an interview because you just wanted to improve your interview skills.

I'd have added selfish to time wasting as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    I was previously interviewing for an office junior job just to help improve my interviewing skills. After the interview, I sent a polite email to the interviewer to withdraw my application because of bad fit.

Moments later he called to interrogate me and shouted at me for wasting his time. I hanged up on him because he was so rude.

He then sent me a lengthy email to express his disappointment in me, highlighted how great his company is and it's my loss for withdrawing my application.

About 10 minutes later he called again, asked if I read his email and said I'm stupid if I still want to withdraw my application after seeing how much profit they make, their reputation etc. I hanged up on him shortly after he said I'm probably withdrawing because I have mental issues, suffer from depression or something like that.

What would you like to happen exactly? Sounds like there was more to this. I've heard of a similar rant when someone attends interview, accepts offered job and then messes the employer around.
    The last interview I went to that I ended up deciding I didn't want/was just above my level I was told there were at least 4 others in the running and after the interview decided I probably wouldn't return the email or call if it came, just to save on this very situation so what were you hoping for again.
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2017 at 11:58PM
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Of course he knows. I've interview hundreds of people and no one has ever withdrawn straight after interview. If it happened I'd assume I'd been messed around even if wasn't sure why.

I have withdrawn anything from straight after to 24 hours after an interview on a number of occasions as I've decided the role isn't for me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm interviewing the company just as much as they're interviewing me. So you may be assuming wrong.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    In addition you took up an interview space that could have went to someone desperate for the job, nice one.

But the job went to someone who was desperate for it eventually - we know this because only someone who is desperate would work for such a nutter. If there were two people who were desperate enough to take it, it hardly matters if the OP took an interview slot that would otherwise have gone to the other one, as there was only one job on offer.

I tend to agree with Invisibility, we tell people every day on these boards to go to interviews if only just for the experience, and then when someone does exactly that we castigate them. I can't see that the OP has done much wrong. Employers waste the time of interviewees often enough by interviewing them even though they have already decided to employ an internal candidate or their nephew and the interview is a sham. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I can't see that much harm has been done.

If someone's CV and covering letter wasn't persuasive enough to get them past the OP who had no interest in the job, they probably weren't going to get it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which part of "It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw after interview if you don't like what's on offer." did you not understand?

You have quoted my post which makes the exact point you go on to preach at me and ignored the fact that the OP announced that s/he never had any intention of taking the job. Why have you done this?

I got confused by it to be honest :)
    I couldn't decide which side it was coming down on, and after reading it a few times I picked one and ran with it.

I never said I was a written communications expert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure