Sound bars ?

Options
i bought a 32" Sony TV back in the summer and I am quite happy with it , but the sound isn't that loud. The chap in the shop said I would probably need a 'sound bar' and tried to sell me one at £180 odd:eek: bearing in mind that the TV was £290 that seemed a bit excessive . I know very little about these things so would appreciate any ideas about how much I should have to pay for one of these I live in a fairly small cottage and my sitting room is about 12x14 so basically I just want to be able to perhaps have it a little bit louder than I get at the moment.The salesman said if I turn it up too much I will 'blow' the TVs existing speakers Any advice chums would be welcome

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JackieO

I find I have to keep turning up the volume on the tv as do my dds when they visit but find it difficult to believe that would blow the speakers as surely that would make the tv unfit for purpose and dangerous?

I have been turning up the volume on my set for over five years now so maybe should keep my fingers crossed. :eek:

Hope someone who knows can help.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You won't blow the speakers. If you find the sound from the TV adequate just carry on!

However a soundbar is likely to give you a better quality / louder sound ... you just have to pay for it. Richer Sounds have a Sony soundbar for £109.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Just bought my parents the Panasonic sc- htb8, great 80w bar perfect for your needs, they love it

Currys have it for £59 I did see it on clearance in Asda but didn't check the price
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Just bought my parents the Panasonic sc- htb8, great 80w bar perfect for your needs, they love it

Currys have it for £59 I did see it on clearance in Asda but didn't check the price

Will that be compatible with the Sony TV (I told you I am a dimwit when it comes to anything electrical :o)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Will that be compatible with the Sony TV (I told you I am a dimwit when it comes to anything electrical :o)
    Yes, absolutely.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have Sony TVs and Panasonic sound bar, they work fine together. It's just another piece of equipment you fix into sockets so any brand should do it, like any DVD player does for any tv.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a HiFi or music system in the same room as the TV?
  • darrellburns347
    Options
    I have an LG one and well worth it. £30 down from £90 last Christmas (boxing day) at Asda
  • bellaboo86
    Options
    My other half insisted we have one. Can't honestly say that I can tell the difference.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can definitely tell the difference on my LG TV with the Panasonic soundbar I have, and it was under £60 from Argos. You might need to buy a lead to connect the soundbar but that's it. You'll end up with another remote though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure