How to Build a Log Store?

Having had a wood burning stove installed I have come to realise fairly quickly that I will need a lean-to type logstore to help protect & dry the logs which feed the things voracious appetite.

I have done a quick trawl and found all manner of log stores varying from £70 to over £300
at
https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice;jsessionid=8D38ED8CE69B966E30A257F301372940.CountrywideAS3?ProductID=4416

As I shall need a few of these, and no desire to spend almost as much as the stove cost, does anyone know of a link where I could find plans to build something similar.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

KT56

Comments

• Ask the Yanks.........

http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/

Picked up a lot of stuff from here over the last few days.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Having had a wood burning stove installed I have come to realise fairly quickly that I will need a lean-to type logstore to help protect & dry the logs which feed the things voracious appetite.

I have done a quick trawl and found all manner of log stores varying from £70 to over £300
    at
    https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice;jsessionid=8D38ED8CE69B966E30A257F301372940.CountrywideAS3?ProductID=4416

As I shall need a few of these, and no desire to spend almost as much as the stove cost, does anyone know of a link where I could find plans to build something similar.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

KT56

I built one in June which has worked pretty well. I used 4 x 4 tanalised timber for uprights, 2 x 4 for upper supports and standard 150mm tanalised planks for the cladding. It's raised off the ground on low brick plinths with felt between the wood and the bricks. I had an awkward spot (around a window) but it holds 1.5 cubic metres. I would have built it bigger but had no suitable space exposed to sun that wasnt needed for other things. Will be getting another load shortly as I'm on my reserve supply in the garage.

I recall total costs was about £100 for wood, screws/nails and preservative.

I take no credit for basic design which was copied from kits sold by Topstak but I was unwilling to pay £300-400 and I needed a non standard shape anyhow.

It doesnt quite lean-to as I wanted airflow behind the stacked logs to aid drying and prevent any damp against wall.

logstore.jpg
  • Thanks to ventureUK and rhiwfield: I have posted on the hearth.com website and appreciate the advice and photo and wait to see what comes up.
    With thanks and regards,
    KT56
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    I knocked mine up about 2 years ago total cost...about a quid.

Old pallets make the base and broken down pallets form the sides and roof a bit of spare vapour barrier I had helped to waterproof it. I reckon its got about another 2 years before I knock up a new one and burn the old one.
    I suppose I could have saved the quid if I'd fished around in the grate for old nails but not even I'm that tight :)
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,062
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 April 2009 at 9:33AM
    Just built my own from pallets:

IMG%5DDSC00039.jpg
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Thanks for all help/advice guys. Going to have a spin at making one myself this weekend from pallets. How long did that take Swipe?
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,062
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    suisidevw wrote: »
    Thanks for all help/advice guys. Going to have a spin at making one myself this weekend from pallets. How long did that take Swipe?

It took me about 2 days but I took my time. Carefully stripping the pallets without ruining the planks took much longer than putting it all together.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Of course if you have somewhere that it can be put where aesthetics don't matter you can build the walls and base from pallets that haven't been taken apart... just strip some down to provide the in between slats, having a double width on the walls will build in an air gap aswell as offering a bit more protection on the sides from rain.

Just for the extra ones where they'll be 'seasoning'

Keep the best looking bits for the smaller log storage by the back door.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • suisidevw
    Cheers Swipe, have plenty of pallets so won't be going to carefully. got a LOT of logs so maybe going to have to go a 3xsize of yours. Pics after weekend :)
  • suisidevw
    PS, What protection did you coat it with?

Thanks Ailuro :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport