Secret Castell Coch, Cardiff wedding. Ideas for what to do/go after the wedding pls!

Hello

I'm planning a secret/low key wedding with a bunch of friends in spring next year:j. We have booked Castell Coch as it had everything we wanted for our wedding day. There will be 18 adults about 7 children under 6. The trouble is we will all have travelled from the South East and have never visited the area before so there are a few things that I need help with!

As the wedding itself is only short and will be finished by 3, I was looking for ideas of what to do that afternoon/evening. We want to have a nice meal somewhere but I really don't know the area at all.

I would also be up for doing anything fun in between the wedding and dinner eg like a boat trip or something else a bit out of the norm. So any ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

Finally, I do also need to find somewhere lovely to stay for my wedding night, so again if any of you know anywhere then please let me know.

Thanks so very much

Comments

• brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    Congratulations! Castell Coch is (literally) in my parents' back garden and it's where I grew up so I know the area very very well!

There's a lovely restaurant in Cardiff Bay (well, there are several but this one has an AMAZING view and great food.) It's called the Bayside Brasserie. I'm sure that would be perfect for your wedding meal. And there are boat trips around the Bay that you can book up.

The St David's Hotel is also in the bay and has a prominent position. It's a 5 star so probably very special (I've only ever been to the spa but that was brilliant). There's also Techniquest which is a science based interactive museum perfect for children just next door.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • brazilianwax
    Now, you'll need a plan b in case it rains.......... Which is extremely likely!!!
  • Oh my god, im so pleased with your reply. I wasn't expecting one so quick. Its so funny that my other half is a computer programmer and all round tech geek (;) ) so he would LOVE that museum, though I do think me walking around in my wedding dress would be a bit strange ha ha! I shall thoroughly research these options tonight. I'm like a fish out of water with the area but I totally fell in love with what I have seen online (don't worry I will be taking a trip to the venue before hand but I am quite laid back about everything)

Thanks SO much for your reply. You really have helped
  • brazilianwax
    weddingsos wrote: »
    Oh my god, im so pleased with your reply. I wasn't expecting one so quick. Its so funny that my other half is a computer programmer and all round tech geek (;) ) so he would LOVE that museum, though I do think me walking around in my wedding dress would be a bit strange ha ha! I shall thoroughly research these options tonight. I'm like a fish out of water with the area but I totally fell in love with what I have seen online (don't worry I will be taking a trip to the venue before hand but I am quite laid back about everything)

Thanks SO much for your reply. You really have helped

It's a lovely place. My sister is a harpist and when she lived at home she did all the weddings there. The only downside is that it's so restricted on numbers.

It's very easy to get around from there. You're only a few minutes from the M4 and the A470 which will take you East and west or North and South.

There's white water rafting place in the Bay too, and an ice rink, and a giant swimming pool with huge flumes. It's about 30 mins from Tongwynlais to the Bay.

Or there's ST Fagan's - museum of Welsh life which is nice for a wander around - it's mostly outdoor - and you just pay for parking. It shuts at 5pm though so you wouldn't get long there.
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My fianc!e proposed after a meal at the Bayside Brasserie, I highly recommend it :D

I'd second most of the recommendations above really! Cardiff Bay might be a good bet as there's lots of options including boat trips, museum, restaurants, hotels etc. I've heard good things about Jolyon's boutique hotel and it has a little bar/restaurant.

If you wanted to be nearer the city centre, the Park Plaza is pretty fab too, I've had some amazing meals there.
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• hontas
    hontas Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I've not had time to look into them all yet but have noted them all down and am planning to. I'm very excited and grateful once again :)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Another hotel option is Celtic Manor.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss wrote: »

The Celtic Manor may have hosted the Ryder Cup and the Nato Summit but ime not only is it overrated but over priced as well.

There's alot of hotels - what about the Miskin Manor or the Vale Hotel?
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Floss wrote: »

Another vote for the Celtic Manor.

Stayed there three times now and intend to go again next year.

Golf packages are especially good value.
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    St David's hotel is lovely - my friend got married there. For a restaurant in the centre I would recommend Giovannis - great value
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport