Best place to change £ to Turkish Lira?

Comments

• smnb08
    smnb08 Posts: 488 Forumite
    off to lara beach on tuesday.have changed a bit of money to take but was just wondering if there are cash machines you can draw your money out of?
    went to belek last year and although i did use my card to pay for a couple of bits i never saw one cash machine!
    sealed pot challenge member #920
  • I have just purchased £203.95 worth of Lira from Thomas Cook online at the exchange rate of 2.25, this results in 460 Turkish Lira, there was no charge for buying online but they do charge £4.99 delivery, i ordered on friday and was delivered saturday morning.....................hope this helps some of you
  • superpp
    superpp Posts: 10 Forumite
    Turkey is a place that loves to get hard currency.
    Most shops offer money exchange which betters the banks.
    We usually take enough lira for the first day and rest in sterling and exchange as we go along.
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    I bought from Thomas Cook today at 2.249 which was the best in my town centre. have purchased half my spending money and will take the rest in sterling.
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • joolesi
    joolesi Posts: 9 Forumite
    hi im off to Turkey tomorrow, just bought 206 pounds worth at 2.2310 from Tesco and it gave me 460 Lira... hope this helps..:j
  • pammyj74 wrote: »
    I'm going to Turkey in a couple of weeks and it worries me to not take any curreny with me, does anyone know where to get a good rate at the moment. I am looking at around 2.25 at the moment.

i go every year and i get about 500pounds from my main post office the rate is at 2.50 you can go on line order your money it comes by recored delevirery but you cant order less than 500 i think it will cost 5pounds and is very safe as i have been getting mine every year for the 6 years good luck
  • HI there, I'm going to Turkey in a few weeks, is this advice still current as I'm wondering whether to get my Lira before we go. Any help much appreciated. Many thanks.
  • feelingblue
    feelingblue Posts: 84 Forumite
    I am going on 3rd August - I have also heard better in resort but I have had 2.56 exchange rate from Tesco (cash - therefore no commission or bank charges). Then recently ordered from Travelex on their sale hour and got 2.67 (roughly) and delivered free next day. 2.25 seems a bit low to me. I used the moneysavingexpert exchange rate thingy posted earlier. If you look on the turkey forums on trip advisor there is lots of advice but a word of warning - some people have been scammed - even at banks etc i.e 10 or 20 lira missing. I chose to change here because of that and because I don't want to waste time 'shopping' around when on holiday.Also, if you pre-order and pick up your currency at the airport travelex give a better rate - don't wait til you get to airport - it will be lower. All on Martins travel money page.HTH - have a great hol x
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    2.25 was in june 2010, old post.
  • feelingblue
    feelingblue Posts: 84 Forumite
    Also be aware that the Lira notes changed and some people were getting the old notes mixed in which are no longer valid. It happened to my bro last year. Again, another reason why I changed here as I would not be confident in knowing whats a new note and whats an old note. But don't get me wrong - I am told by someone that goes every year that the Turkish people are lovely so its only a few bad eggs which you get anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure