BCW & Orange debt

Hi

I recived a call from BCW on Thursday and they left a message asking to call back.

Today I recieved 'Formal Demand' letter from them asking for the sum of £763.30 for Orange, when in fact I owe Orange £256.70(My last bill shows this).

After calling Orange, they said my account had now been closed and gave me the number for BCW.

Why has the charge gone up to £763.30?

Im extremely worried, Im a student and currently out of work,

Help please on to how to handle this!

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have they added on the cost for the remainder of the contract and/or termination fees?

At the very least you should be able to demand from BCW a breakdown of how this new figure was arrived at.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    fermi is right, it will be the rest of the contract plus costs
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Would you say the best thing to do is call them or write to them?
  • chanz4
    bcw are only a phone based collections company, write to them or call is fine as I know 100% that their calls are recorded.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 12 June 2011 at 8:41PM
    GlosBoy wrote: »
    Would you say the best thing to do is call them or write to them?

Write. Demand a breakdown of the debt.

They may add charges as specified in the phone contract, but they cannot lump on unjustified ones of their own, or ones that are disproportionately large compared to the original debt.

So you need a statement in writing showing how the debt they claim is made up.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • chanz4
    my moneys on the early term fee, collect charge also which is about £50
  • Hi ,I am new here hope someone can advise me what to do.
    I have just recieved a letter from BCW stating they are going to do a Personal visit.
    I have moved from the address they have for me and have my mail redirected to my new address which is out of the area.
    What should I do ? must I inform them of my new address?
    Also the amount they say I owe is a nearly 800 pound where they have got this amount from I do not know.
    Please can someone help.
    Many Thanks
  • they are dodgy and will do anything to get money from you, as for a persoanl visit, that is a scare tactic

I had a letter from them saying they would send someone around to my house!

they wanted £4100 off me for a loan that was from 9 years ago which was only £800 and it turns out they can't do a thing as its over 6 years old so sent them a lovely letter saying

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued”.
    I would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:

“It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation
    period”.

The last acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act
    I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:
    “Continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.
    I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. I look forward to your reply

hahah so they can jog on !

In your case do not call them as they are total bullies, write to them asking the following
    (Your home address)
    Date:
    To:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account/Ref No:

With reference to the above agreement, I/we would be grateful if you would send me/us a copy of this credit agreement and a full breakdown of the account including any interest or charges applied.

I/we understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79], I am/we are entitled to receive a copy of any credit agreement and a statement of account on request.

I/we enclose a payment of £1 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I/we understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within 12 working days.

I/we understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

I/we look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Your name.

Do not sign your name and send a postal order, if they fail to repy in 10 days you can send a second letter

Once 12+2+30 days are up send this letter (courtesy weller)

No Terms and Conditions- no APR = no CCA

Suggest you send this letter

Formal Complaint
    Letter Before Action

Dear Sir/Madam,

I do not acknowledge any debt to your company.

With reference to my previous letters, I wish to draw you attention to your company's lack of compliance with my legal request.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your purusal and ease of reference.
    You have failed to comply with request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.

I am of the opinon that the document you sent does not meet further pescribed terms as set out in the Act, eg:

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)
    Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily
    distinguishable from the [background medium upon which the information is displayed].

(2) The wording of any Form prescribed by these Regulations shall be reproduced in copies of unexecuted or executed
    agreements or in Notices of Cancellation Rights sent [by an appropriate method] under section 64(1)(b) or (2) of the Act
    without any alteration or addition, except that--
    (a) the creditor or owner may enter the name and address of the debtor or hirer in any Cancellation Form prescribed
    by these Regulations; and
    (b) every Form shall be completed in accordance with any footnote.

Further more I am also of the opinion that the copy of the agreement does not comply with the conditions set out by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.61.(1) which states that an agreement must contain certain prescribed terms, the Consumer Credit Act ( Agreements) Regulations 1983 s.6 sets out how these terms should be contained with in one single document and if not, is not enforceable by the court Consumer credit Act 1974 s.127(3) , recent case law Wilson V Hurstanger Neutral Citation Number: [2007] EWCA Civ 299.

As you may not be aware , failure to comply with this request within 12 working days renders the alleged debt UNENFORCEABLE in law. Furthermore, if this non-compliance continues for a further month then a summary, criminal offence is committed.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a compliant credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.
    * may not add further interest or any charges to the account.
    * may not pass the account to a third party.
    * may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.
    * may not issue a default notice related to the account.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

After taking advice, I am of the opinion that your continued pursuit is in violation of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 section 40, Protection from harassment Act 1997 section 3 as well as breaching a number of the OFT Collection Guidelines.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.
    You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you would prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I await your rapid response.

Yours Faithfully

And report them to trading Standards in the area where they are located. You might want to copy the letter to the DCA
  • Thanks for this reply ,I will lwrite to them today and post it and see what they have to say.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Holly do you know what debt they are chasing for?
    Is it an orange phone bill? If so then the CCA request someone posted above is not relevant to your case, as phone contracts are not covered by the consumer credit act.
    Can you tell us a bit more about the debt before you send any letter out.

If you don't know what debt they are trying to collect on or how old it is then the starting point should be a prove it letter as per this link - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family