Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Presumably the local job market would dictate the wage. Different people like different types of work - some like office jobs where they can sit down yet others would hate an office job and would prefer a job where they are more active and constantly interacting with people. Plenty of minimum wage jobs are unsociable hours so that in itself would not justify a higher wage. Perhaps the minimum wage is not high enough?

It's probably not liveable - at least in the south east anyway.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    In many circumstances I do think waiting staff should earn more than minimum wage. They are on their feet, running about, often carrying heavy loads, working unsociable hours & working harder in the holiday & festival seasons when others are celebrating & relaxing.

And you don't think the person packing your Amazon parcel, running about, carrying heavy loads, and working unsocial hours and holidays (the warehouses never close), don't equally deserve a tip if they do a good job packing your box

Tipping in the US where there is a lower rate of pay for waiters is logical.

Tipping waiters in the UK if they have gone above and beyond to deliver something special is fine. But just doing what is expected, no.
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I've always been a supporter of tipping, but I must confess I hadn't thought about the implications of the new Living Wage. Once this gets up to £9 an hour, and with a personal allowance of £12,500, there really shouldn't be a need to tip in restaurants any longer.

Exactly. Restaurants guilt their customers into tipping, and there have been many examples recently where they just keep the service charge they add for themselves.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options

It is the same with a restaurant: if you do not feel able to pay for the food, drink and service then you have the option of not consuming them, or trying to negotiate a special deal. You are welcome to enter a restaurant and explain your policy on tipping before ordering: I expect that the waiter would then give you basic service or perhaps show you how to pass your order directly to the kitchen. Equally, you are welcome to ask the owner for a discount on the prices on the menu. What you are NOT allowed to do is consume the food and drink and then announce you are not willing to pay for it. I suggest that if you allow a waiter to see you in the belief that reasonable service will be rewarded with a tip, and then fail to tip for satisfactory service, you are guilty of a form of fraud. The fact that your boss recently "shafted" you by failing to reward good performance does not justify treating others in this way.

Ok, I know this comment is from 2016, but its such tripe I had to comment.

They said nothing about not being willing to pay for the food. All they said was they do not tip because the waiters/waitresses earn as much as they do.

Given the whole point of tipping is to give the staff a little bit more on top of their small wage, the above logic makes perfect sense.

And what do you mean "treating others this way", are you suggesting you are treating the staff badly by not tipping them?
  • ZachGold
    ZachGold Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company £20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to £18 each, we'll all chuck in £20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?

yes, i hate it when they stand beside or ask if i would like to have it deducted. i almost always tip them and that's the way it should be, if i liked the service, i'd give it out if my own will. and i usually don't tip like 20-30% but i think it's around at least 10% in all the instances. They might actually be making more than i am and it's all just bonus. i have nothing against them but the service should be worthy of it and that they should gladly accept whatever people tip them
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Recently I visited a restaurant in Falmouth. As we sat down the waitress told us that if we were quick we could get our order in before the table of 12 that had just sat down before we came in. We did just that and got served quickly.

For that she was tipped 10% of the total bill.

That's the first time I've tipped in donkeys years. Why would anyone tip for anything other than exceptional service?
    Pants
  • anajames
    anajames Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    agree with you, i do understand the logic of the service people to be on minimum wage and trying to make ends meet. But everyone strives hard to achieve something. If we just make a norm to tip for the sake of it. Service will never be the same.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I went to a restuarant for breakfast on the weekend & the food was ok, wasnt amazing but wasnt poor. I did ask them however to remove the 10% optional service charge that had been added to my bill & I left 5%...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I went to a restuarant for breakfast on the weekend & the food was ok, wasnt amazing but wasnt poor. I did ask them however to remove the 10% optional service charge that had been added to my bill & I left 5%...

By the waitress didn't cook the food!

So if her pay is based on expected tips she will make & the food the kitchen produce is below par, she will earn less than expected.

Maybe less than her outgoings.

Pay a fair wage & abolish tipping!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    By the waitress didn't cook the food!

So if her pay is based on expected tips she will make & the food the kitchen produce is below par, she will earn less than expected.

Maybe less than her outgoings.

Pay a fair wage & abolish tipping!

They already get a fair wage for their job!. Carrying plates of food and copying down customers orders doesn't take any skill and i don't see why they should get anymore than the minimum wage.

I also prefer restaurants where you go up and order your own food (and collect it yourself if its a buffet). This means you get a much faster service and don't have to wait for a memeber of staff to order your next course of food or more drinks. So how can a waiter/waitress deserve more pay when systems without them are actually more effecient.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I very rarely tip, hate the whole principle of it, almost become the expected even where in general service is nothing more than good.

I expect good service for free, if someone does something out of their way i might tip but only might.

My wife works in a shop she gets minimum wage and doesn't get tips regardless of how much she helps out customers, she doesn't expect it so why would anyone else ? why are certain jobs tip friendly others aren't, we have the minimum wage for a reason.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback