Apple muncher's number crunching

Comments

• It'll make such a difference introducing new frugal ways into your life, soon you won't even notice you're doing them but will be reaping the rewards, win win!

PS white chocolate fudge! Yum!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,661
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another poorly day, started last Thurs so am getting rather fed up with it all! Am not ill enough to sit/lie/veg in front of telly. Yet not well enpugh to want to do things really. Am jusy at the 'I'm bored' stage! At least the snot production has almost stopped!

Of course life goes on, and things do get done. Ish! Dh took dd to sch so I only got dressed at 10 to go to a governors thingy at her sch. Have been back in bed since getting home. My legs are exhausted! The sch is only a 5 min walk, so it's not unfitness! Anyhow, enough of the 'poor me' syndrome.

I have been making some colouring in charts for 2014, in line with the goals above. I have one for savings, mortgage payments, sugar-free days, grain-free days, weight loss and items sewn. All done in pencil and without a ruler, but strangely satisfying nonetheless.

Mother informs me that she wishes to go home tomorrow, on the train. Still not happy to let her travel, but also unable to argue much!

7 more sleeps til Christmas:xmastree:
    10 more sleep til payday:dance:
    12 more sleeps til dh starts his new job:j

And then we hit 2014 and the plans and plotting can start to be realised.:T And hopefully ninjasavingkat will have another fantastic monthly challenge for us. She's was rather kind to us for December, so I'm thinking January may be much stricter. Will certainly be employing pearlaMerle's approach of 'every penny's a prisoner'. Love that concept! Also want to start my Tilly Tidies, and may not even wait for Jan for that one...

It suits me to have a number of goals and challenges, and to have to plan ahead. I'll be working 4 days, not 2, so household jobs will be done as and when, and time with dd will be a priority. I'll try my hardest NOT to bring schoolwork home, but realistically, I expect I'll not manage that as will be teaching a new subject that I last studied in ...1986!

Today I am grateful for my dd's school being such a lovely place for the children, 2 specific work colleagues who are simply lovely, the fact that I have been offered extra work without having to apply and jump through hoops to get it, my dh's hot toddies and thr satisfaction I get from creating and making things,

PS white fudge is gooooorjus! A total sugar kick that blows my sugar-free days out of the water!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • suse*
    suse* Posts: 303
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have been getting your subscription updates even though I haven't been loggin in as I too have had man flu for what feels like forever now. I think I'm also finally come out of it.

I had seen an advert to make a callendar by vista print with your own pictures, so was thinking of using some inspirational quotes from facebook and having it in the kitchen. Reading your post though has made me think I might make my own adapted callandar / tick chart and sort some goals out as well too.

Keep up the amazing work you're doing great.
    [STRIKE]Original Mortgage 07/07 £160000 LTV 100% [/STRIKE]Remortgaged 10/13 £118000 LTV 84%
    Outstanding 02/12/14 £107652.40
    LTV 76%
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    edited 18 December 2013 at 8:29PM
    Hello suse, thanks for popping in and for the encouragement. I know I do an awful lot of reading other people's threads without posting on them. This must be one of the few places that lurking and loitering is acceptable!

Glad you are over your man flu. I.m feeling a little better now, but the morning may well be a different story. But I do feel I'm on the mend, off the meds, using only a few tissues per hour, and out of bed!

I'm hoping for a wall calendar from our veggie box, as they've given us one for the last 2 years. Failing that, I'll make my own - probably minus the pictures tho'. We use an online one, but I do like to write it down and be able to see it on the wall.

Now to get munchkin to sleep so I can watch World's Strongest Man on 5+1!:)

PS suse* have noticed you've also signed up for 2014mfw. Me too! Aiming for 11,600. Gulp!
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    :wave:
    Sorry you're still feeling grotty AM, but my goodness aren't you doing well with all that plotting and planning!

I like to have several plans on the go too, that way there's always something that's going to plan (even if the rest is looking a bit t*ts up)!

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Habibiboo wrote: »
    :wave:
    Sorry you're still feeling grotty AM, but my goodness aren't you doing well with all that plotting and planning!

I like to have several plans on the go too, that way there's always something that's going to plan (even if the rest is looking a bit t*ts up)!

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Absolutely! Love plotting + planning! Went and counted my coin jars (takes me back to being a kid again!) and discovered there's £22 to be paid in. Yippee!:j
  • I am definitely on the mend! So is mother, so we took her to the train station and she's well on her way now, with strict instructions to get a taxi from the station the other end.

Really got a kick from counting my coins last night! Have decided to keep on saving the 1p, 2p 5p and £2 coins with a view to banking them; but will also put other change in a money box. So I have effectively started saving for Christmas 2014!:j:j:j

dh has just had a call from the delightful jsa people, saying that this very day he will receive what he is owed. Finally! He's also had the joy of informing them that he has found a job and will soon no longer be spending his time chasing them up and making calls to them. He won't miss them, but if he's in the same situation again, he has an arsenal of tips for dealing with them. And if it happens again, I'll make flippin sure he claims right from when he's made redundant, not from when he gets around to it!

Off to knit the back of Angelina's leotard before lunch.
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better today, apple muncher! & that the JSA people have finally got their act together!

The colouring charts sound great, I keep meaning to do something similar... must don my artist's hat and give it a whirl soon.
    Will certainly be employing pearlaMerle's approach of 'every penny's a prisoner'. Love that concept!
    I wondered what on earth you were talking about for a minute, I totally forgot I had that in my signature! Time I reacquainted myself with the concept (my bank balance agrees!)
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Did a bit of number crunching whilst on the tram today and realised how much I've done!

Got a cheque req from work, and the money got put into the savings account, instead of back into my current account. So although I don't have a lot left in my ca until payday (7 sleeps), I could just say that I've saved it early instead of waiting til the end of the month.

Added to that is the monies paid over from the 52 week saving (£52 down to £1 per week), and some Tilly Tidies (ish). All in all, it adds up to: £560! :j:T:j Wow! Never thought I'd have been able to save that much, especially given our financial tightness at the moment. Might do a bit of colouring in now! Get ahead of the game, no?

I have money in my purse for a top up shop before Christmas. We're not doing anything big and I expect I'll do more baking - part of the DDD money saving.

Dd will be glad not to have to get up for anything for a few days, other than playing!

Have realised that I now have 15 goals for 2014... Maybe a tad too many? Oh well! Try to maintain them each month, as each time we hit the 1st of the month, that's a fresh start.
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Made another NSD - yay! Went with dd to a little party. She looked as if she should just stay home and have a jama day, but she wanted to go, even if we left early. Well, the children there were her age or a bit littler, and were all lovely, playing together so well. She loved it!

Then went and got the gf bread, which turned out to be rolls! Didn't take my purse into the chemist so could legitimately tell dd I had no pennies with me.

On getting home we duly watched Barbie and she danced around the room trying to copy the ballet moves.

I now have 16 goals for 2014, shamelessly lifting the idea of declutter 365 in 365!

Tomorrow may well be another NSD. We have church, with the Kids Klub kids doing their Nativity in the morning. Dh is then doing PA for the carol service in the evening, so will no doubt be there from mId-afternoon!

I'll be going over my food and other budgets this month. Grr! I've had several unplanned spends and it does all add up. £35 on laundry liquid bulk buy and £12 on school milk, £25 on a haircut and £15 on my phone all make £87 extras. But I'll have kept on with saving weekly so we have enough!

Not much more to report. I've done loads of reading on the dfw and mfw boards, with a little dip into crafty ones. Stops me spending!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback