Taste the difference

123457»

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fingers crossed they get taught humility and can teach Dad too.

I do wonder if the user name is a hint about the reality of the scenario
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • I wouldn’t be wasting my time posting untrue stuff. I get my kicks from elsewhere thanks.

Malthusian don’t get carried away with this reverse snobbery. I’d like to have sent my children to the local state primary and for a year or so they were enrolled there, bullying was an issue and they couldn’t address that. So I began my search for a new home in the catchment area of a good primary that fed into a popular comprehensive. To do so would have meant taking on a £200,000 mortgage just to be in a house the same as the one I live in now, plus we like where we live.

From an academic standpoint the private school has an A level pass rate of >80% grades A*-B and this year only two D grades. Some years they achieve a 100% pass rate A-C (GCSEs are 98-100% A-C) compared to the best state comprehensive that achieves 12%-16% grades A*-B you can see I’m not interested in humility or lack of but the best outcome for my children. It helps that class sizes are small (there’s 4 boys and 4 girls in my sons class, pre-preparatory and 15 in my daughters class, middle school). Worth every penny.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well that's a lot of information that nobody asked for in response to a throwaway comment.

I went to a state primary school and bullying was almost unheard of. I went to a grammar school and was bullied pretty much the whole time, until I became strong enough to put a stop to it. I went to a good private school from year 9 (not a top one) and while I wasn't bullied there, I knew many who were, some in pretty unspeakable fashion. All kids can be beastly to each other, some are just beastly in posher accents. This isn't anything to do with snobbery, of any variety.

Obviously you had other reasons for moving them to the private school, but spending £30,000+ a year on two sets of private school fees is an extreme reaction to bullying when karate lessons cost less than a tenner a week.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Academic achievement isn't a given with large fees being paid to a private school, the one benefit that seems to come for most with a private education is confidence.

Having said that kids nowadays seem far more confident than years ago in terms of presentation and publicity speaking etc in general.

Also a pretty good idea of you want to become a political or an England cricketer.
  • Thought I'd update on my first post: Sainsbury's went in the right direction; I sold above £3 and bought back a much smaller stake on the fall £2.30 only to split 50:50 into Tesco on the recent trading update. I lost on weatherly and a few others, gained on some and as of the financial year end my pot is worth £173k with £2k of dividends due. Made my first modest 'regular' contribution this month too. In what has been an incredibly volatile year I've come out on top. I hope others have shared the same good fortune. Much more diversified, no one stock makes up more than 10% of portfolio value and 5% is more usual.
  • Much more diversified, no one stock makes up more than 10% of portfolio value and 5% is more usual.
    You have learned your lesson then. Well done.
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport