NEST Pensions Q&A

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Hi everyone

NEST is answering questions here on the Forum as a verified user. You can see its forum account here: Nest Pensions.

If you have a question click "reply" below to ask and it will try to help.

NEST has asked us to add it will aim to respond to any questions posted within two business days.

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Pension need-to-knows

Cheapest SIPP

Guide to Taking Your Pension

Pension liberation

What is Pension Auto-Enrolment?
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why do NEST insist on completion of discharge forms by providers when no other pension provider out there does the same?

This issue has popped on the forum several times. Providers won't fill them in. Nest insists on it and you get deadlock. Completion of discharge forms is very 1990s. Is it about time NEST stopped creating this block?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why when using the increased premiums form to predict effect of increases in contributions, does it not allow you to put multiple increases? We know that there are increases to come (statutory minimums). Given that you don't have to put in these minimums into the increase it would suggest these are not taken account of.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why does nest insist on signed forms of identification when other pension providers accept I am who I am? Not only that, but signed by certain professions but not others? And not even retired ones. It's all very 1920's.
    Also, is it possible to draw an amount out each year under flexible drawdown it may be called, where 25% of the amount I draw out is tax free, the other subject to tax? The web site doesn't mention this, but then my main pension provider [Sanlam] discouraged this also, :(
  • NEST_Pensions
    NEST_Pensions Posts: 12 Organisation Representative
    Hi, thanks for your feedback. I'll follow this up with the relevant team here and come back to you.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official representative of NEST. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Nest Pensions, good to see you back on MSE (and officially this time!)

The questions below (already mentioned by others above) are adapted from my post on another NEST thread here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5733909 (still unanswered... )

Could you address the problems people are reporting regularly re NEST - which relate to transfers in. You, NEST, insist on the previous pension provider filling in a form whereas the convention is that the previous pension provider expects you, NEST, to fill in a form.

There are reports on this forum that this approach goes on for months, with both sides blaming the other. Do NEST have any comment and/or a solution to this?

Here are three other threads about this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5731390
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665098
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5732027
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Could you address the problems people are reporting regularly re NEST - which relate to transfers in. You, NEST, insist on the previous pension provider filling in a form whereas the convention is that the previous pension provider expects you, NEST, to fill in a form.

I will just clarify that as its linked to my comment further up.

Most providers do not fill in discharge forms. In fact nowadays, most providers don't need discharge forms at all as they use the origo options system for transfers.

However, where one side or both do not use that system, discharge forms are still usually required but only for the client signature. The discharge forms still usually have the boxes for completion by the receiving scheme but no provider fills them in (although some have just moved to a request to transfer form which is usually no more than a single side of A4 with a couple of sentences). The providers issue each other with all the details that each other needs to complete the transfer (like a data sheet).

NEST is virtually unique in insisting that the other provider writes in handwriting all that info from the datasheet onto the NEST form and sign it. Most providers refuse to that as it is time-consuming and expensive. Although, NEST just borrows money from taxpayers. So, efficiency is not likely to be its strong point.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 8:47PM
    Wow very brave of Nest to join this forum given all the recent unresolved difficulties people have experienced trying to transfer pensions to Nest to benefit from the low ongoing fees.

Most providers are very pleased to grow their assets under management so it's really odd that Nest are not willing to follow industry standard protocol.

Why should a loosing provider have to complete the gaining providers paperwork? It should be the other way around.

Nest are setting customers up with a very difficult problem and they end up here asking for help.

Also in terms of improving the proposition -

1) I think Next need to reconsider their Foundation investment phase. I know people don't like to see losses but it makes no sense to apply a conservative investment approach when some of the best growth can be achieved in the early years of investing.

2) I don't understand why Nest charge a high fee for recieving a regular contribution and zero fee for recieving a transfer which is much harder? Wouldn't it be better and more consistent to have a slightly lower fee for both?

Alex.
  • NEST_Pensions
    NEST_Pensions Posts: 12 Organisation Representative
    Hi all, thanks for your posts and all the feedback. We are now reviewing these and will respond.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official representative of NEST. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Alexland wrote: »
    Wow very brave of Nest to join this forum given all the recent unresolved difficulties people have experienced trying to transfer pensions to Nest to benefit from the low ongoing fees.

I wouldn't call it 'brave'. It's common sense.

If Nest know what they're doing with their transfer system they should be able to address the concerns perfectly well and answer our questions.

If they don't know what they're doing they need to find out what they're doing wrong and address it.

I'd call it (overdue) customer service and (hopefully) listening to customer feedback.

Brave would imply they might be scared - and they shouldn't be. We don't want to scare them, we want them to help.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Zanderman wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it 'brave'. It's common sense.

If Nest know what they're doing with their transfer system they should be able to address the concerns perfectly well and answer our questions.

If they don't know what they're doing they need to find out what they're doing wrong and address it.

I'd call it (overdue) customer service and (hopefully) listening to customer feedback.

Brave would imply they might be scared - and they shouldn't be. We don't want to scare them, we want them to help.

Or it's the corporate view of social media engagement whereby they are reaching out, but in actual fact little will be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure