Advance learning loans and providers

Hello,

I used the Advance learning loan system to further study while working. It was the perfect choice for my circumstances. However I have found a flaw and need advise on what step to take next.

The advance goverment loan side of it is not the issue, its the provide who I enrolled with for the course. When enrolling I clearly stressed I was married to a British solider and concerned that I could possibly move location during the study/training period. The company reassured that this would not be an issue becuase they can offer the training in most areas of the UK. This is also stated on they web site. Unfortunately my worry become reality and due to Army life and married to a solider we had to move location (about 2hrs away from where we were stationed) The company have suspended my course and canceled my training because they say they can't continue the training due to not having any tutors available in the area.

This means I am now stuck with owning what was paid to the provider from the advance learner loan. Can this be fair? I would understand if I dropped out voluntarily but this was the providers action. I feel discriminated because Im married to a solider that can be posted to different areas. I didn't even complete the course and now stuck with paying a bill.

Furthermore I want to enrol onto the same course with another provider within the location we are at now and still need to use the advance loan due to my financial circumstances. Is there a compliant procedure that I can look into for the company provider to reverse the funds back to the advance learner loan.

Really need advice, I am very dishearten by it all. It is difficult trying to gain a career while you are married to a solider and moving around. All I wanted, was to better my future job prospects for my family. But seem to be gathering an unnecessary debt because my life is a little different to civilian life.

Thank you

Leanne

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If looked at from an unbiased point of view, it's hard to see this as anything other than an unfortunate consequence of being in a Forces family.

You say:
    leebail wrote: »
    this was the providers action.

but in reality it wasn't. It was you that moved location, not them. And as you yourself said, they only say that they can cover "most" UK locations.

And although it's unfortunate that you have to cover the cost of the course so far, it's fair to say that the provider has actually incurred the cost of providing the training before you moved?

So... I think you will have to seek a compromise with them. Have you asked whether they can help - for example in identifying another provider in your new area that can take over without major extra cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure