PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Slinky wrote: »
    I always thought the US equivalent of a skip was a dumpster?
    :) I've always understood Dumpster to be a brand name for big, lidded commercial refuse containers, not quite analagous with our skips.

I used to follow a blog called hoardingwoesandyou (highly commended) and he was having drop boxes delivered. They were huge, with ends which opened like double-doors, so you could just walk things in. Of course, skips come with a drop-front option, too. We're looking at a 6-yarder, I reckon, and they come with drop-front options.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I'm thinking of kondo'ing my CD collection, well at least the ones I rarely listen to, there's only a few ones I've any sentimental attachment to, and only a few I listen to, and that's via my tablet or iPod. As my stereo was taken down when my bedroom was being decorated a couple of years ago, and has never been put back together, so everything is on a portable device now.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    GQ, have you checked the skirting boards and floorboards for woodworm? Given the level of infestation I would be worried about them having spread into the fabric of the building.
    The next tenant would not be happy about inheriting voracious worms.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I guess that's the landlord's problem.

Although I've never had issues with wormy furniture resulting in wormy skirting or floorboards. The sledge didn't fare so well...
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kondo'd my old notebook, minus pages, into a fab cover for my kindle. The notebook, being a premium brand 'Paperblanks' one, has a little wallet for tickets or momentos in the back. That is perfect to slip kindle into, then I just folded the cover together and flipped its elastic closure back over and Hey Presto! I soooo love the cover design, I didn't want to get rid but as the notepad itself was done with I had put it in recycling. A quick rescue to make a joyful and really useful item :D

Have quietly mentioned the videos again, suggesting that we (for 'we', read DH) sort through them and keep only a select few. I also mentioned a much better use for 'their cupboard', hoping that will help the thought process ;)

DH was happy that when he asked where a particular diy tool was I could go straight to it. I must admit, things are really gelling now. I did start the KM journey last year and have done categories as and when, then repeated some as I got better at it! It is still a work in progress but a turning point has definitely been reached :D :j
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    8 boxes and 2 bags of items + 1 cosy coupe car taken to NNS last night. 3 boxes of unsold items came back home today - have sorted about half a box of those to go to CS next week and a couple of items have gone into fleabay pile, Rest of unsold items have been boxed back into loft for next NNS. Lots of things gone and nice amount of £££ received in exchange - have given the money to the children for their toys and books which sold and I have the money for clothes and equipment.

Eldest is home from uni for the weekend. Will be taking some of the toiletry stash back with them, along with some of the many Xmas cards we have and some Halloween decs. They are not planning on coming back now until Xmas hols so it makes sense to take some stuff back when they'll have transport (OH will take them back tomorrow) and saves them buying stuff. I think they may also be taking some food and a couple of bottles from the alcohol stash too.....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So much has gone on in peoples lives since I last had chance to post. I apologise but I am terrible at remembering who said what, where and when but i do know I owe a few people 'well done on your efforts' and also warm squidgy hugs full of love and sympathy to others. However, i must not forgot the people who. like me, have lost their mojo because of real life getting in the way... c'mon, up and at it guys and girls!

I am now on my fourth lot of washing this weekend and as there is no bedding in there I am starting to believe that i am washing clean clothes as well! It looks like a trip to the launderette is also now on todays to do list as the weather is miserable here and i hate it hanging around.

My dilemma today is that dd1 room is a HUGE MASSIVE mess. This partly because she has no drawers just things piled on the floor. We are supposed to be re doing it but work thinned out and we have had to put a halt to it for the time being. It is unlikely that it will even be done till after Christmas. I am tempted to buy her some of those plastic drawers in the mean time. I did see some proper drawers that would temporarily do the job in a charity shop but they were more expensive and not my cup of tea. In my head i could use the plastic ones under the stairs afterwards. decisions, decisions!

Ages ago i started my 'work in progress' tubs on my pine shelves. If i glance over it is actually time to attack another cupboard as two of the tubs are actually full of bits to go on the caravan holiday. as the holiday approaches i try to buy an extra tin/treat to take with us so that have less to get later!

Right, time to get on with it all!
    Go get it!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Kondo'd my old notebook, minus pages, into a fab cover for my kindle. The notebook, being a premium brand 'Paperblanks' one, has a little wallet for tickets or momentos in the back. That is perfect to slip kindle into, then I just folded the cover together and flipped its elastic closure back over and Hey Presto! I soooo love the cover design, I didn't want to get rid but as the notepad itself was done with I had put it in recycling. A quick rescue to make a joyful and really useful item :D
    I love what you've done with that :)
    I must admit, things are really gelling now. I did start the KM journey last year and have done categories as and when, then repeated some as I got better at it! It is still a work in progress but a turning point has definitely been reached :D :j
    Repeating the categories seems really important to me - our judgement changes/refines, and new possibilities open up :j

My fabric stash with knitting and sewing accessories :eek: oh my word! I've spent a couple of days doing it, and only then discovered that I have *two* stashes of knitting needles, the first one was lost because I just put them anywhere that was safe while I moved, and I never found them again before I wanted to start knitting :eek: and it just went on and on like that. Especially needles. And magnets, for some reason. Better now :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 1:14PM
    - our judgement changes/refines, and new possibilities open up!

Karmacat that sums it up brilliantly. Yes, yes, yes! New possibilities come to mind with the KM magic :j

Have just Kondo'd the old wallpaper from the untiled bit of the bathroom walls. DH is working so I am free to get up to all sorts without 'supervision'! It's a small room with plain, very light cream tiles on one wall and either end of the bath, to full height. The rest of the room is half tiled in the same. A mosaic-style tile border runs round it all, in cream, beige and darker brown tesserae. I have some textured paper to go on the untiled top half. It is dark bronze/brown with no pattern as such. I have had dark paper in there before and it is very effective.
    The room, although small, is south facing, so I assume that's why it can take a dark colour?!

So now I have to do a small amount of tiling, where an old waterheater has been removed, and after that is fit to grout I shall paper. I'll get tiling done by Thursday then I have a couple of days to fit papering in due to work reshuffle. And then....... I can hang the decorative wall hanging we bought on holiday a mere 9 months ago. Yep, have been too busy to sort out the decorating til now but it will be a definite makeover with this final flourish! :)

ETA - Tibawoo, sorry you sound like you are up against it atm. Re the necessary drawers - I suspect the ones in CS are larger than the plastic ones, or you may find some that are. DD or someone willing could easily sand down old COD and paint them as desired. They will be better value, stronger, and more roomy than plastic set if she can see the potential (no idea how old she is so I may be making work for you, or a grandparent?!)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have just been to the loft with OH. Finally stowed away the suitcases from our holiday 3 weeks ago, and returned the seat pads for the garden furniture to the loft. Don't think we'll be needing them again this year.

Whilst up there we have located the wallpaper pasting table, last used about 13 years ago, we're entirely painted walls at the moment. Wallpaper was acquired on Thursday and Friday to do the lounge and hall, although when we'll get to it is another matter......

We have identified wallpaper for 2 of the bedrooms also, need to buy it even if not hanging just yet in case they stop making it. We went in the B&Q near OH's mum's last weekend and both the ones I bought last week were marked up as going to be discontinued, so we have got them while we still can. I had to order one online as they didn't have more than 2 with the same batch number in the shop.

The other ones we want are from Homebase, trip for another day.

Also brought down some tiles from the loft. Have got a tiler coming tomorrow to remove patterned tiles from the bathroom and replace with plain. Fortunately when we bought the tiles, we over-ordered. The patterned ones look quite dated now, even though they've only been up 10 years. The plain ones are very pale grey, so does that make them on-trend now?!! Anyway, they will be more neutral for a buyer when we eventually put the house of for sale. The suite is white.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport