The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Comments

• WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I know that someone mentioned eating a lot/gaining weight when stopping alcohol (i think that was 365 who mentioned it?), i am having the same problem..i can't stop eating!
    Any ideas to deal with this issue please?
    ((HUGS)).

I also have concerns about weight gain and lost weight by cutting down on the alcohol. I really don't want to put it back on (especially as I bought new clothes and it wouldn't be very MSE!). :o

What works best for me (maybe not for anyone else), is 3 meals a day only - it's the snacks that do me most damage. At meal time I allow myself treats but only eat till I am full, then the treat won't turn into a Miranda Hart biscuit blizzard! I try to only eat when I actually feel hungry as then I enjoy it more anyway.

If I get hungry in between I have some small sweets in the car (less than 10 calories each) and at supper time I have Options Hot chocolate if I need something sweet.

But if anyone else has any good tips I'm open to suggestions.
  • And thanks Shaggy, looking at the old posts I see how many years you have been doing this so vigilantly for - you are a star! :T
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the new thread, Shaggy :) Am determined to make tonight my number 6, but am not declaring yet.
    I know that someone mentioned eating a lot/gaining weight when stopping alcohol (i think that was 365 who mentioned it?), i am having the same problem..i can't stop eating!

I am really glad i jumped straight back on the wagon after Sunday. It would have been very easy to think "well i have mucked up now, and wont reach my 31 day target, so sod it i'll just carry on drinking". But i didnt :)

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, sending hugs to anyone that needs it ((HUGS)).

Personally I think food is the lesser of the two evils but totally understand and I don't want to gain weight either!

If you consider that one large glass of wine contains the same number of calories as a cornetto ice cream... from http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/what-is-alcohol/types-of-alcohol/units-and-calories-in-wine/ then allowing yourself an extra snack in place of that is fine, in my opinion as long as you aren't going over the amount of calories that your booze would have contained.

I wouldn't have a cornetto though :D Better would be to choose a slow release carb snack like porridge, brown rice, a brown bread sandwich etc. On my non-drinking nights, I now have a low carb snack late in the evening/before bed and that seems to have [STRIKE]helped with[/STRIKE] stopped (!) the night sweats and general crappy feeling. I am sure it is because my body is used to a high sugar/carb hit (wine) in the evenings. Last night I had a small bowl of rice with a couple of tbsp of tesc0 value sweet and sour sauce and a splash of soy sauce. It was yummy and replaced the carb hit of wine with a fraction of the calories.

Hope that helps :)
  • Think Im going to take up arm knitting!! Will make it harder to snack WantToBeSE But unfortunately I probably could manage to rig up something with a straw to drink!
    Springwatch girl that's how I want to feel
    To those that have slipped along the way your still here & hopefully it will help to make you strong enough To help the rest of us when we too slip
    8/31 Shaggy thank you
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2014 at 4:04PM
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the new thread, Shaggy :) Am determined to make tonight my number 6, but am not declaring yet.

Actually, I find that I eat better when I'm not drinking. If I go out to the pub for 8 pints then I'll eat any junk when I get home (or end up with a takeaway). If I have a bottle of wine in front of the telly, I'll be constantly nibbling on cheese and biscuits. Nobody ever gets drunk and then says "Mmm.. I fancy a salad!"

For me stopping drinking = weight loss.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Seen this and thought of this thread
    Should there be a word for an 'almost alcoholic'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25639406
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    For me stopping drinking = weight loss.

Me too. I find that after even just a couple of days of not drinking my appetite drops - at about 6 days it's really noticeable for me. I think it's to do with falling sugar levels...

You'll find some good articles if you google "alcohol and eating habits".
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks everyone for the advice about eating/alcohol. I'll definitely google it. I hadn't thought about the sugar content of alcohol, so i guess my body is craving it when i am drinking significantly less than normal. As long as i remember this, and therefore understand why i am craving carbs and sugar, i think i'll be OK :)
  • gwithbag
    gwithbag Posts: 37 Forumite
    Shaggy

Dare I ask, what happened to ISOM?
  • Yvieblue
    Yvieblue Posts: 94 Forumite
    Thank you so much for keeping track, Shaggy.
    Declaring 8/31 for today because I'm feeling really tired so I'll probably be in bed by 9.00!
    I'm finding that food is the problem for me too, atm - I've signed up for the weight loss challenge on the OS board and I'm not doing well at all on that one so far - but at least, with the help of this thread,I've kept off the wine (so far) this month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure