PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The veg shortage is being blown out of all proportion by the media (nothing new there) and they are making mountains out of small mole hills. IF we eat seasonally and preferably home grown produce there are still potatoes, swedes, turnips, cabbages, spring greens, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, leeks, celeriac, celery, watercress, sprouts and KALE!!! many of which you can not only cook but make very acceptable winter salads from too. If you're into foraging the young nettles, dandelions, chickweed, hairy bitter cress can all be harvested and added to the menu too which will help the amount of vitamins and minerals in your diet. We've become much too spoiled by wanting everything available 24 hours a day 52 weeks of the year. I feel for the Spanish farmers though as a good proportion of their livelihood must be missing this year and I hope it doesn't put them out of business.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    Just come back from Al*i and the veg is plentiful but did notice that the iceberg lettuce has gone up from 48p to £1.09, so left it there as we can do without. The toms were still 69p though.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just read in Welsh newspaper that t*sco are rationing iceberg lettuce and broccoli heads to 3 per person.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Just read in Welsh newspaper that t*sco are rationing iceberg lettuce and broccoli heads to 3 per person.

I saw that and thought "Why would anyone buy more than 3 of each of them anyway? It would go off before they got to eat it". Closely followed by the cynical thought that anyone who did want to do that might try and get someone else to buy the extra for them and "Make that a no from me then" to that.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    the very last thing I want to eat right now is iceberg lettuce! I want substantial veg through the winter months.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Out of the goodness of my wee black heart, I hereby donate my bit of broccoli to any poor sod reduced to eating the stuff. I'll bravely cope without. :D
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And i'll throw my share of lettuce in..

I'm good like that :rotfl:

Honestly, who needs 3!!
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why are people eating lettuce this time of year? What is wrong with sprouts, kale, root veg....???
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mar, we all applaud your self sacrifice. What a little martyr!

I feel very sorry for the Spanish growers but this happens all the time. The weather does not do its designated stuff and everyone goes into high drama mode. If it's not too cold, its too hot. If its not too wet its too dry. If it's not coffee that has been washed away by floods it's fruit that rotted on the trees or been attacked by some pestilence.
    OK, so this time it's vegetables. So all those people who hardly eat the stuff (cover your eyes mar) will suddenly decide that veg is something they simply MUST have. Nothing like a scarcity to make something attractive and desirable.

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where seasonal food is produced locally but we're not alone. Surely this country can supply enough of the seasonal, local stuff to keep the nation going for a while. Of course it would have been easier if farmers had not been forced into diversifying into holiday cottages et al and could have actually produced food.

Don't howl at me. I'm well aware that we can't produce enough to feed the nation and I am just an old reactionary who wonders how we have coped all these years without salad and strawberries in the middle of winter.
    When I was at school in the forties and fifties we used to have "Winter Salad", which was basically coleslaw mix without the mayonnaise.

I don't mean to go on so much but I do have to have a wry smile at the doomladen headlines.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2017 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    NewShadow, would you mind forwarding that PM from GQ over to me, please? GQ seems to be okay with it?

Sorry KC- haven't been about this week. I'll forward it on now.

On a related note. I'm planning on making my first (small) purchase from bullion by post this weekend.

Upon registering it's asking me if I have a referral code - not sure if anyone get's anything for referring, but happy to use a code if it helps someone - PM me before 2pm tomorrow. ;)

ETA - code received and used.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure