5:2 Diet (part II)

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2016 at 8:39PM
    The thread has gone very quiet. I'm wondering how everyone is doing.

I'm maintaining with no problems. Still not eating breakfast, but allowing myself the odd glass of wine and the odd carb.

OH is still losing weight, a stone from his target.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm back. Yawn yawn.

Have done this diet successfully twice and lost a stone, but I'm not very good at maintaining and just seem to lose the plot.

I don't have a lot to lose. I am 10st 2lb at the moment and feel that 9st is a good weight for me. It's just as soon as I get there and no more weight comes off, I think, ah, what's the point and lose it!

I'm hoping to lose 1lb a week, so 16 weeks till I am there. We shall see.

My fast days are Mon and Thurs and I cope quite well on these days as I am at work and my mother cooks for my children.

As yesterday was a Bank Hol, I have swapped yesterday to today and am fasting today.

So far had a coffee (26) and a can of diet coke (1).

Dinner at 6pm will be a micro meal (chicken chow mein at 331) and a whole heap of peppers and mushrooms.

Then maybe a little biscuit (I'm out of ww yogs), but not sure how much ginger nuts are.

Then options (38) before bed.

I'm also toying with 16:8 on the days that I'm not fasting, but I will go with the flow with these, i.e. if I'm hungry, I will eat, otherwise I will binge. It worked yesterday. I got to lunch and just didn't feel like eating. Must get in the mindframe of only eating when hungry!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    All these fads are a total waste of time.

Yes you'll lose weight.

Great you think, it's working, so you stop the fad diet

Next thing you know you're even fatter than before.

So it's time to try another fad diet.

STOP!

Just learn to eat less, get to know what a sensible portion size is

Eat breakfast

Cook from fresh

Cut out all sugar

Cut out all so called low sugar foods or health bars and snacks

Cut out all low fat foods, they're all loaded with sugar

Stop snacking

Stop fizzy drinks

Do lots of walking, at least 40mins per day or more

So once you get your natural diet sorted you can get on with your life, lighter and healthier

Cheers fj
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    All these fads are a total waste of time.

Yes you'll lose weight.

Great you think, it's working, so you stop the fad diet

The 5:2 way of eating isn't a diet - it's a way of maintaining health and weight. Many people have been using it for years.

It's flexible in that you can shift to 4:3 if weight has started to creep on or reduce to 6:1 if you just want the other benefits.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Bigfreddiel, if you'd watched the original Horizon programme on intermittent fasting, you'd have realised that it isn't just about losing weight, but about other health benefits associated with it. Michael Mosley not only lost weight, but lowered his cholesterol and reversed his pre diabetic condition. My cholesterol level has also lowered since starting 5:2. All I can say is that it works for me, and I'd rather follow this way of eating. As a bonus, it is also the most successful way of losing weight that I have ever tried and it is now a way of life.
  • pollyanna24
    Only lost a lb this week which I am a little disappointed about, but onwards and upwards. Maybe I did over indulge on my non fast days, but a loss is a loss and it's the fact that I can eat what I want that will make this diet sustainable.

So 15lb left to go.

Today's menu is:-

Coffee (26)
    Diet Coke (1)
    WW Sausage and Mash (294)
    ...g Mushrooms
    ...g Brussels Sprouts
    WW Yog (45)
    Option (34)

I'll work out the vegetables when I am cooking as it depends on how much I have.

Have a headache today which might be a result of the diet, but I will persevere.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The 5:2 way of eating isn't a diet - it's a way of maintaining health and weight. Many people have been using it for years.

It's flexible in that you can shift to 4:3 if weight has started to creep on or reduce to 6:1 if you just want the other benefits.

Absolutely!

Big Freddie has been telling us how to lose weight for so long, he should have to change his name.

I lost slowly, a pound a week between 25th April and mid September when I hit my target of 9st 7lbs. I've lost another 5 lbs just because my appetite and tastes have changed. I never eat breakfast now, unless paid for in an hotel! So I'm basically doing 16-8, without depriving myself.

OH has lost 3stone, has not gained over Christmas and is looking and feeling great. It's quite expensive on new clothes, mind!

20 years ago I did the F Plan. It was good, but making 'fibre fill' cereal became a drag. I also could not stop losing weight, as there was no maintenance strategy.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollyanna24
    Another fast day for me and feeling okay at almost 4pm as I didn't have anything to drink last night which usually helps to scupper a fast.

Today's menu is:-

Coffee (26)
    Diet Coke (1)
    WW Sausage and Mash (294) (Didn't have this on Monday, had a turkey dinner instead)
    ...g Mushrooms
    ...g Peppers
    ...g Brussels Sprouts (if I have enough cals left over for these)
    WW Yog (45)
    Option (40)

I'll work out the vegetables when I am cooking as it depends on how much I have.
  • pollyanna24
    I only lost 3oz this week, but I think I know where I'm going wrong :o

On my non fast days, I have been going way over, like over 2,000 calories and more.

But I must admit, it didn't feel like I was eating a lot. Ooops. Glad I started counting calories on my non fast days though as it may help me to see where I am going wrong.

Today is another fast day. Same plan as normal. Have eaten nothing today, but had a coffee and a Diet Coke.

My main meal tonight will be a micro meal (of which I have six, each different) between 270 - 337 calories.

With mushrooms and peppers for veg.

WW yogurt

Options or a cup of tea before bed.
  • OH has decided to try to 5:2 diet - good for him, and I fully support him.

Now, his fast days are also days when he works and doesn't get in until between 6:30 and 7:00 in the evening, so I'll be sorting the food out for him. I've never needed to count a calorie in my life, but I eat a very healthy diet and I'm happy that I know enough about nutrition to give him good food to eat. BUT I'm concerned that he'll be going over the recommended 600 calories for his fast days.

He has a glass of fresh orange at breakfast, a salad at lunchtime (lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot, tomato, red pepper, a handful of almonds and either a boiled egg or some cooked meat, dressed with some herbs and lime juice) - my question is what to provide for the evening meal. Last week I gave him sea bass on a bed of kale one day, and just a very small portion of what I was having (home-made lasagne) with salad the other.

More suggestions gratefully received!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure