Best electric toothbrush

Options

Comments

• bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the Oral B Triumph.
    it has a soft setting for the kids and a handy (if a little gimmicky) Smart guide display that works via bluetooth to tell you how long you've been brushing and if you're applying too much pressure.
    I was able to purchase mine from the BDA Conference in Manchester for a dental health professional rate of £30!
    I really like it too.

It has the Which? best buy award and retails in Boots for £139.99 currently.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got the Oral B 7000 given to me as a Christmas present. It is terrific. I have bought one for my 80+year old mum (she still has all her own teeth) and she is really pleased with it too.
  • da_murphster
    Options
    I'm after one of these as well - from this will be looking at the Oral B 7000.

Anyone recommend anywhere to buy from - i'm getting told that the 8500 and 7000 are discontinued.

Are their updated version the ones to go for?

These seem OK prices....

http://www.moderntimesltd.com/prodtype.asp?s=thwvxo105708&strParents=&CAT_ID=3&numRecordPosition=1
  • mr_rush
    mr_rush Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    I'm using the Triumph. I got it for less than £60 from Amazon a few months ago. Agree the timer thing is a bit gimmicky but it does mean I do brush for the proper length of time (I think I always used to rush with manual brushing).

That said, I seem to recall seeing a Cochrane meta-analysis in 2003/4 saying that electric toothbrushes were no any better than manual ones.
  • roxalana
    roxalana Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an oral b professional care brush - i think it might be a 5000XL but not sure!

It is the only electric one I have had so can't really compare with others but it seems a lot better than my OHs and flatmates vitality range brushes.

Mine was half price in boots so cost less than £20. Things I think are useful to think about are:

I don't think you need to spend a fortune on a brush. Also consider the price and availability and choice of brush heads.

At work and amongst my friends, no one has found the sonic brushes to make a substantial difference compared to other electric ones to justify the extra costs.

Get rechargeable - don't consider the battery ones - they spend very little time at full power so aren't as effective.

The one i have has some good features above the basic brushes. I find the timer (it interupts brushing briefly every 30 seconds) helpful particularly as it has a 30 sec warning and a different sounding marker for 2 mins. My OHs only has it every 2 mins and it feels like it takes forever to sound and he doesn't always spend an equal amount of time on each side of his mouth. I find that my charge lasts longer than his vitality too. My final thing against the vitality compared to mine is that the vitality has a different handgrip which is difficult to clean - it always looks grubby cos dirt gets trapped in the grips.

I know your question is only about brushes but i would thoroughly recommend seeing the dental hygienist. I put it off due to the cost (£45 for about half hour) and in the end had to go twice to make up for some time of tooth neglect but it has made an amazing difference to the whiteness of my teeth. I was considering cosmetic whitening before but now I don't need it.

The electric brush plus interdental brushes and mouthwash are helping me maintain the whiteness, but the hygienist visit is what really made the difference. i can't recommend it enough!
  • adecor
    adecor Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They did a test on the gadget show a while back. Here's the link http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/blog/programme-2-weblinks
  • tirednewdad
    Options
    mr_rush wrote: »
    I'm using the Triumph. I got it for less than £60 from Amazon a few months ago. Agree the timer thing is a bit gimmicky but it does mean I do brush for the proper length of time (I think I always used to rush with manual brushing).

That said, I seem to recall seeing a Cochrane meta-analysis in 2003/4 saying that electric toothbrushes were no any better than manual ones.

Quite correct Mr Rush- There is no difference providing You use the manual one effectively, but thats the main problem. Not many people do.

Personally i use the Sonic Care brush. There is no evidence that it is any better, but i do find my patients that use it, tend to have less problems with gum disease and need less fillings if at all.
    Of course it could be the fact that someone who is willing to spend a £100 on a toothbrush is someone who cares enough about there teeth that they are less likely to have problems anyway!

If you do go for an electric toothbrush, then get one with a circular head as there is evidence that it works better.
    Oral B is good. Personally i love the Sonic Care.
    :money: Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to everyone who has helped.
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    I'm bumping this to get views on the new Oral B range.

The new Oral B 1000 pulsates 40,000 times per minute and rotates 8800 times per minute. This matches the older 8500 and 7000.

Is the new range any better (possibly in terms of battery)? Or are they no different than the older range?
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hopefully they'll be selling them cheap at the dental showcase in November :rolleyes: (trade show)
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • vk2003
    vk2003 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    I'm bumping this to get views on the new Oral B range.

The new Oral B 1000 pulsates 40,000 times per minute and rotates 8800 times per minute. This matches the older 8500 and 7000.

Is the new range any better (possibly in terms of battery)? Or are they no different than the older range?

They've just rationalised the range down to 3 models, and renumbered them to the confusion of everyone including their own reps! The bottom range brush, model 550 should be avoided as it has a lower speed than the 7000. As Toothsmith said earlier, the speed is important.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure