Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Pizza was definitely a winner last night- perfect evening snuggled up on sofa with a blanket watching Captain America: Civil war.

NSD yesterday which was good, today is a chilled day, going to a friends for this evening for some nibbles and to see in the New Year.

I'm going to make some pizza rolls to take round (rather than buying party foods) and a bottle of something naughty. I'm really looking forward to it.

Wishing everyone a very Happy, healthy start to the New year x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Happy New year to you!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy new year lovelies!

Goals for 2017:
    1) overpay mortgage by £2150 in 2017
    2) rebuild savings to £1750 in 2017
    3) get rid of credit card once & for all :D (£940 left on 0%)
    4) have two mini breaks away with my gf- enjoy life & experiences.
    5) run a 10km race
    6) find somewhere to volunteer at- aim for at least 6 volunteering days in 2017 preferably with homeless charity or a mental health charity.

For goal 5 I want to build my regular running back up- in 2012/2013 I had a running buddy and we got up to running 13 miles for fun, I completed the great north run half marathon (hated it) and ran lots of 10km races which I found tough but an enjoyable challenging distance. My running buddy unceremoniously ditched me as he got together with a new lady who didn't like him going off for runs with a girl.....
    I would like to get back into it on my own & run another 10km in 2017 as a fitness/wellbeing goal :)

Here's to a great 2017, my first year as a homeowner!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 1 January 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    On a none New Years goals point, last night we managed to get a lift from a friend back from our friends house instead of an eye watering my expensive taxi :D saved at least £40 and meant we spent £1.47 for New Years (that was on the mozarella for the pizza rolls I knocked up!), took alcohol from the never ending alcohol pile too!
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    A great start to 2017 :)
    Good luck with your goals.
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 2 January 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Thanks eatingtheelephant :D

Yesterday some of the gf's extended family were over from the US and visiting us all in the Midlands so went out for a lovely lunch, today we have been to the gym then off to Lidl for the weekly shop.

We are now sat around waiting for said family members who were meant to be popping round at 3pm, we've prepped lots of food ready and now relaxing whilst waiting. Mums made vara pau which is a potatoe style battered fritter which we'll serve with chutneys and big baps for everyone (veggie friendly).

Two small op's made today following the trip to Lidl and then the trip to Tesco when learned the family members were coming over & would want dinner! Pretty pleased with how budget friendly Lidl was...bought lots of essentials, loads of veggies, salmon, turkey mince etc all for £17 :D

Only £1.21 in OPs so far this year but it's a start! Decided to stooze my credit card payments into savings until April and then switch the funds across- I should earn three months interest which isn't a huge amount but will be more pennies in the OP pot :D
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Family have all eaten & now departed. We are left with a large party cake (untouched!) and 6 bread rolls- shall have to take the cake into the office in Wednesday & freeze those rolls for soups.

Was lovely to see family and they gave us £40 to get something as a housewarming gift which was very unexpected and lovely :)

Sherlock now watched but will watch it again later in the week just to check we didn't miss anything!

Two yougov surveys completed, free postcode lottery checked daily and keeping an eye on my quidco account; am itching for more tracked items to move to confirmed status!

Paydays not until the 13th booooo, will move the credit card cash to savings tomorrow (£200) but that's about it for money shuffling until payday. Have a cousins 30th in London this weekend- we are driving there & back same day and not drinking to save costs. May liftshare with others if we'll all fit in the one car :)

Having issues with elec/gas supplier- we were supplied by BG but switched to first utility- they estimated the change of supply reads too high and are now estimating our bills despite me providing fortnightly reads (which they are ignoring as lower than the opening reads) grrrrrr! Will have to email in the morning again to moan!

Working from home tomorrow and will gym in the morning but am anticipating it being heaving in the gym in the morning with the new year resolution peeps in, may head in even earlier just to make sure it's easy.
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    I haven;t been to a gym in years, but I used to dislike january as it go sooo busy with people starting diets / fitness regimes - always quietened down again though soon enough!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 3 January 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Yes, it definitely does quieten down by February; I try to be patient and remember that habits have to start somewhere, I just wish it didn't cause chaos with the parking at the gym which is difficult even in the quietest times!

I didn't make it this morning....suffering with really bad DOMS in my stomach caused by lots of abs workout yesterday- I don't think I'm cut out for this healthy routine malarkey ;P

One of the gf's uncles is popping over to see the new house today (as he didn't get to come yesterday) so planning on making a veggie pasta bake using some of the mozzarella left over from New Years pizza rolls.

We've been busy updating our house planner for this month with work travels/ stays and all the social engagements planned so that we can be prepped and minimize costs.

We are hosting lots of meals/evenings at ours this month in an effort to reduce eating out spends...just hope that the grocery budget doesn't go up by the same amount :-/
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Busy day today- working in the office so saw all my colleagues which was nice. Took pack up of leftover pasta & veg bake with salad for lunch, and took rice porridge flakes and a (snaffled) mini jam pot for breakfast.

Managed to be in the right place to get a banana from the free work fruit bowl before they were decimated....I really feel for the poor chap who puts the fruit out daily!

Went to the gym after work and managed an 8km run! Pretty pleased with that and earned the teriyaki salmon dinner we made (Lidl salmon is so cheap!)- scrumptious.

Credit interest of £2.98 received today so moved that across to the mortgage - making 2017 contributions at £4.95 so far.... not ground breaking but it's something.

We were planning to go and visit a cousin in London for this weekend but drive there and back same night so as to save money. Clever gf remembered she had lots of hotel points from work stays and we've managed to get a night in a fab hotel in central London for free :D
    She cheekily tweeted them regarding upgrading the room and they've done it complimentary :) Wahooo

So nice little night away this weekend, trying to find cheap parking so it will be in budget too!
    Carpet man is booked in for 20th and is coming in £60 under budget too as the flooorng I liked is cheaper, win!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback